Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A startup repair takes time. What happens after it finishes the startup repair?
Windows 10 starts

Does it run well?
Well enough, some lag, but the same as I got with Windows 7

Did you restart it after you used it for a while to see if it loads right away?
This whole process, give or take 10-20 minutes, in the video starts every time I cold boot my computer. In this case (unless I don't know the term correctly) meaning after I shut the computer down completely, using the shut down option in Windows 10.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,718 Posts
Hi, could be any number of reasons, first if you have fast start active turn it off.

Next open Msconfig and go to the "boot" tab put a check in "boot log" when you start, a boot log is produced to see this go to c:\windows\ntblog.txt (opens in notepad)

You can also see what is happening at boot , open a cmd prompt as admin and run this cmd:-

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /V VerboseStatus /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

To revert this change the 1 to 0

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder how long I have to go back to Windows 7. I know you don't want to do that because there are not more updates being made for it.

But, if I could go back, I'd have more time to go back again if I upgrade to Windows 10, it would reset/give me more time

Someone who helped fix my USB port on my laptop (not my desktop, that this is the problem on in this thread) with a remote session is saying I should run windows 10 one memory stick at a time (I have 6 in right now, totalling 48GB) and see if these problems still happen when I boot, with each. Wasn't sure if he was right, that we should follow what the errors the BSOD's give me when I boot up, they might not mean memory errors.

I did a test with memtest for 11 hours on all 6 sticks and I didn't get any errors, though I have in the past got memory management BSOD's when I was running windows 7 with these same memory sticks in.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, could be any number of reasons, first if you have fast start active turn it off.
I don't have the power options app in windows 10 to be able to even see if it's on or off, and it says my system can't run it when I try to open it with search/run.

Next open Msconfig and go to the "boot" tab put a check in "boot log" when you start, a boot log is produced to see this go to c:\windows\ntblog.txt (opens in notepad)
I've attached it, but this time I had an easy bootup, not sure it will show you any of the problems in the video. I'm sure that bootup is temporary and I will get it again, just didn't today. I'll have to wait until a slow error-prone one happens.

You can also see what is happening at boot , open a cmd prompt as admin and run this cmd:-

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /V VerboseStatus /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

To revert this change the 1 to 0
Am I adding something to the registry? Is that what you mean by reg add.

Attachments

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,451 Posts
I don't have the power options app in windows 10 to be able to even see if it's on or off, and it says my system can't run it when I try to open it with search/run.

Choose what the Power Button Does.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,451 Posts
Remove Emisoft and use built in Windows Defender.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, yes use only windows defender it is all a home user needs.
I've been told you can use every anti-malware on the planet and still have malware, though someone told me once hitman has never failed them. Why do you think Windows defender is all you need for ALL your malware? Haven't you ever found some malware with another anti-malware that WD did NOT detect?

Go to your MB manufacturers web site and download the latest chipset drivers for your machine.
I already have the most up to date ones, no newer ones are being made.

Ok, I will try this

·
Registered
40,763 Posts
You cannot have more the 1 Anti-Virus software on your computer or they will conflict.
Windows Security (Defender) is a part of Windows, they have made great improvements on it and it works flawlessly in Windows and is updated in Windows Update.
If you install any other AV software (ie) Norton, McAfee, Avast etc, it will disable Windows Defender, because they conflict. All other AV programs have a big foot print and give false positives and block downloads on certain web pages.
That is not to say that you shouldn't have other Malware removal tools. the Free versions of ADWCleaner, and Malwarebytes or Hitman Pro are great to have in your toolbox. As long as you don't use their Premium versions and have them load at startup, they work in tandem with Windows Security to keep you very safe.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I uninstalled Emsisoft and Acronis and did the clean boot of Windows 10. the Clean boot booted a lot easier than any other reboot, only took about 3-4 minutes

But, should we try a cold boot, from when the computer is completely shut down, for comparison? How do you know the two won't be different in thier results of starting up?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sure, do the cold boot.
Hope I'm using that term correctly, What I mean is my computer is shut down, but it is connected to a power outlet, there is still some power, a few lights on, etc.

If cold boot means starting it from totally having no power- such as when I unplug it, press down the power switch to draiin the power, then plug it back in and press the power button, then it's not a cold boot.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts