Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey, im a budding young computer gamer and have had a average computer until now, i got the nvidia geforce 8400 gs. now i got a budget between i guess $200 and $350 but i could go above that if i really must. now i dont know where to start looking for a better graphics card, i hear radeon and nvidia are the better brands but with names like 4500 hd and 9600 and other strange specs, im not sure if im looking in the right direction. ive been trying to learn off the net and i think this is one of the better ones. XFX Radeon HD 4890 Video Card - 1024MB DDR5, PCI Express 2.0 x16, CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV. (whats crossfireX ready? its the spec to multi GPU support) however im not sure if i will need it and ive been told i need a new power supply. im not sure what im powering on with now but yeah im goner keep looking. should i go for something less powerful or get a new power supply. i play stuff like cod 4, total war series and assassin creeds. however i want abit of room to move in the future. do graphics cards take up space on RAM aswel cause i got 2G and a dual core 1.9 processor, however im thinking of upgrading to a 2.9 soon. plz help =)

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Welcome to tsf. Next time please create your own thread and do not take over another.

You first need to post the make and model machine your using or post the machine individual specs including power supply make and model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh im sorry, i didnt know i should start a new thread.
umm my computer is the HP Pavillion Elite m9070a but i upgraded to 2G of ram.
im not sure about my make and model of my power supply but its 300w which from another of your posts is really to small to be getting a decent video card.
i will get back to you soon on the make and model if u need it to know.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
umm i plan on buying my parts off the net and getting a store to install them (sadly computer dumb =() so if i get these off the net, would it be fine to walk in there and ask him to install them? like would he say no these parts are useless unles u change your mother board and you got the wrong connection for this, etc, etc?
BTW thankz for the help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
I'd say quad. More and more games and programs are starting to support quads now and it'll be worth it to get a q6600. As of currently my q6600 has no problem playing any game. whether it's a dual or quad supported game.

And yea you can chat all you like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so anyway im aussie as you probly know, u know where i can buy these parts cheap? i thawt maybe tiger direct cuz they are highly reviewed but theres a aussie site called techbuy. do u know of any good reliable sites?

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
I don't really know any australian sites. You can try ebay and choose a member who's got good feedback and worldwide shipping. But as far as I know most all computer parts in australia are very expensive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey long time since ive replied, umm ive decided to go for the intel quad q6600 and a 600 to 850 watts psu. umm how do i check my motherboard to check my (i think) pin connection for the cpu and the cpie or agp connections? should i try looking up the specs for my old hardware and see what connections they had or is there a faster way?

correct me if im wrong with all these connection types. and ive decided that i want to go with nvidia due to the itel processor (heard that it dont really matter but alot of people do) so do i just look up nvidia range and select one of the better cards? is that smart?

and just checking, will a new cpu, gpu and graphics card all be ok with my old motherboard (hard to find specs for a motherboard)?

hope u had a gud new years btw

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
All q6600's are socket 775's so it'll fit fine. Also , ati and intel work fine together and you'll get much more bang for your buck with ati. The power supplies/videocards listed above would be best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok im pretty sure, the 8400 is a CPIe graphics card. does that sound right?
and do u recomeed saphire?
my mate i think can get me a 850 watt power supply for $40 of ebay, and his works fine. so i mite give that a go.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Yes your board is pci-e. Shaphire is ok.

Also , that power supply will be junk , it'll be a no name brand unit with bad amperage and low efficiency and will just burn out shortly after you bough it. Stick with the power supplies above.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey ive been looking at prices and im goner get the radeon hd 4870. however ive had problems trying to get a correct price, this website had these prices:

XFX ATI HD 4870 PCI-E 2.0 512MB 256-bit DDR5 750 3.6GHz Dual DVI Fan" was listed here at PC Meal for $169.50 including gst on 1st Nov 19:42, $154.09 excluding gst.

MANLI M-A4870OC/5R3DD ATI Radeon HD4870OC / 512MB DDR5 / 256-BIT / PCI-E / DUAL DVI" for $225.00 including gst on 1st Nov 19:42, $204.55 excluding gst.

XFX ATI 4870 512MB DDR5" for $270.00 including gst on 1st Nov 19:42, $245.45 excluding gst.

XFX ATI 4870 512MB DDR5 XXX" for $309.00 including gst on 1st Nov 19:42, $280.91 excluding gst

whats up with all the different versions? what is manli? do ATI make different versions of the same card?

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Ati only makes one 4870 gpu , the individual sub companies like xfx or shaphire make various versions.

Of the bunch the one for 169 appears to be the best simply due to the price. I've never heard of MANLI.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.