Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got 2 Windows 7 Ultimate discs in the mail yesterday. Thinking that both were needed, I just put the first one in. After installing it, I realized the discs were actually different (duhhhh). One is a 32-bit version (which I unwittingly installed), and one is a 64-bit.

How do I go about installing the 64-bit version? I have heard about wiping the 32-bit version from my hard drive, then performing a clean install. I have also heard a lot about partitioning and all that. I can't say I know a thing about wiping an operating system from my hard drive, or partitions...

If you don't want to read that, then my main question is, how can I install Windows 7 64-bit when I am currently running Windows 7 32-bit (yes I have both discs). I could care less about my info, if it gets wiped, that's fine.

Also, since I got it in the mail, all I got were the discs (no instructions about weather it's only an upgrade disc). Here is exactly what it says on it:

PROMOTIONAL DISC:
Nor for resale.

Includes Windows Anytime Upgrade

32-bit software (or 64-bit software on the other disc I got)
X15-60566-01

Windows 7 Ultimate

Thanks in advance (be nice it's my first post :wave:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about my activation code? I've heard from a number of people that it will only work once, and that I will have to phone microsoft and explain what happened, since I have already used my code.

I will try just putting it in I think, since I have gotten so many different answers from so many different people. Thanks

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts
I have not heard such a thing about only 1x activation on OEM or retail versions of Windows 7 -- what does the box/ instructions say that came with the DVD?

If installing Windows 7 x64, be very sure that you have located x64 drivers for all devices. All drivers in Vista x64 & Windows 7 x64 must be signed or they will not load. Check in with the Device manager - devmgmt.msc

What is the reason that you want x64..? Most software today is x86 (32-bit). It will run on in an x64 environment, but x86 apps are still subject to x86 limitations - RAM is still capped as if it were an x86 OS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.