Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a current configuration under Windows XP that is great - stable - but slow (Asus A7N266-VM w/Athlon XP 1800+). I want to upgrade the motherboard and have ordered the following:

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 3.0 G
1G Corsair 3700

I assembled my current PC, but I am not sure exactly what to do when trying to upgrade. I have the following:

Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 80G (with Windows XP - all current updates)
Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 200G (partitioned into two 100G partitions)
DVD R/W
CD R/W
Floppy
nvidea 5200 Ultra AGP
Maxtor 250 G External Firewire Drive

Can I simply connect the drives to the 133 ATA IDE connector on the new board and configure them to be IDE instead of RAID? I do not want to reinstall the OS and all the apps again if I can help it.

Any help or comments will be most welcomed.

Thanks.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
have ordered the following:
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 3.0 G
1G Corsair 3700
You will probably also need a new power supply. It absolutely must be one which is "ATX12V compliant" ( ATX12V was not a requirement for Athlon CPU's) or else the mobo will not turn on. And it should be powerful enough for this mobo or you'll get all sorts of strange misbehavior. For the P4C800-E for best results get a supply well beyond 350W: the Antec True480 has worked very well for several folks here, and one of its best features is three separate voltage sections for the 3.3V, 5.5V, and 12V: usually the lower two are ganged together.

The mobo does not specifically support PC3700 memory AFAIK, it only supports up to PC3200. A couple people run PC3500. But nobody has reported PC3700 works yet. You can try it, but do not be surprised if you get strange crashes. Save all the packaging for that memory when it arrives, if you know what I mean. :D Asus links a list of tested memory modules, off the mobo webpage.

Also see the "Working" thread for what other people are running on this mobo, including myself.

I do not want to reinstall the OS and all the apps again if I can help it.
Sorry.
Current or not, your old drive has an O/S Which expects there to be a bunch of A7N266VM chipset hardware devices present, at the addresses where they were before. If you try to boot this on a different mobo, instead of laucnhing a bunch of cute wizards, we are finding it will usually just get stuck in a loop!

At a minimum you are going to have to do some level of CD reinstallation of the O/S over the top of what you have. And then apply the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility immediately after that; you will probably need to use the "AFTER" method. Then install drivers for the other mobo components: LAN, firewire, Promise ATA, etc.. which you download from Asus' site. Be sure to get the drivers for your exact mobo model, P4C800-E Deluxe.

Can I simply connect the drives to the 133 ATA IDE connector on the new board and configure them to be IDE instead of RAID?
Yes.

Strap your two IDE drives for master and slave, and using one of the 80-conductor cables that comes with the mobo, connect to the PRI_IDE; these will run at ATA/100 speed BTW but don't fret. Initially, just hook up the master O/S drive... hook up the other drives after you have gone through the install process. You said your O/S is "current" but before you hook up that 200GB make sure you've applied the Big Drive Enabler patch for XP drives >137GB.

Strap your CD and DVD as master/slave and use the other 80-conductor cable to attach those to your SEC_IDE.

Floppy is simple, just don't get the cable backwards.

Actually your biggest challenge may be your video card. Try a search (in the blue bar at the top, search the "Hardware" category) for "nvidea and 5200" to see if anyone's had trouble and what they perhaps did about it.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.