Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Iv got my copy of vista but am not sure how to go about installing it. I've had xp for years and built up a lot of programs, obviously if i format i'll have to download them all again but starting from fresh seems a tidy way of doing it.

If I choose the upgrade option will all my old programs continue to work?

Is there any reason to format rather than upgrading?

Thanks, Leigh

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Fresh install is usually best way.

If I choose the upgrade option will all my old programs continue to work?
Very good question. I remember when I upgraded from Win98 to XP, a number of programs did not work and some hardware peices were not supported. I ended up replaceing a few programs and buying a new scanner.

Microsoft does have an program that will analize your computer to see if the hardware and software will support the new OS.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pr...pgradeadvisor.mspx?wt_svl=20029a&mg_id=20029b

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lellis2k,

I can understand issues arising from a 98 to XP upgrade, however upgrading from XP to Vista should be fine. I never ran into any problems in test setups. In some cases, certain third party programs may require a patch and or need to be ran in compatibility mode, which really isn't a big deal. I do suggest using the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor, which is what crazijoe had mentioned. Goodluck!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Upgrade version of Vista will give you the option of overlaying on top of XP or fresh install. As long as the XP OS is on the computer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Upgrading Vista or Clean Install and

1.Read you post re a clean install. Undecided at present, (I do have a lot of garbage which may be best got rid of).
2.As I mess around with loading programs all the time, I maintain a back up with another HD in a caddy.
Use the DOS version of Ghost on a floppy, has always worked well, will this Ghost DOS work with Vista.
I do have the Windows version of Symantec Ghost on a CD, tried it a few times but don't like it compared with the floppy.
Do you think the 'floppy DOS' will be OK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.