Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, here are my current specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.5GHz
RAM: 4GB GDDR2 (2x2gb and I can't even remember the brand, something **** like Xtreme Gamer)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2gb
HDD: Seagate 1TB (7200RPM)
PSU: Corsair 850W non-modular
mobo: Gigabyte MA770-UD3

So, I'm getting a new 144Hz screen, and on top of this I have £200 on my argos card to spend, so my dilemma is coming from the choice I have to make on what to get for £200. First of all, I want a new case and an SSD, but these I think should come secondary to the CPU and RAM considering I'm getting a 144Hz screen and want to play CS:GO at a high framerate (and considering they're a bigger bottleneck than my GPU). Now, my options with that in mind are:

1) Buy a new CPU and a new case:
http://puu.sh/j7Des/27a84f1837.png
2) Buy new RAM and an SSD:
http://puu.sh/j7ADu/7780b1a25e.png

Which one of these two options would you recommend? Also, will these things be compatible with my current setup (e.g. with my motherboard)? And finally, if you have any other alternatives to the hardware I provided that might be a better choice, feel free to let me know.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
Neither of those upgrades (processor and RAM specifically) are compatible with your current motherboard.

My best recommendation: save your money and work toward replacing motherboard, CPU and memory.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah right, that sucks. Thing is, the argos card is all I can use atm and it's limited to £200. I guess my best option at the moment then is to get the case and the SSD? (The SSD should be compatible with everything, right?). Because the next time I'm going to have money (from my student loan) will mean I can get anything else I need anyway so what I'm getting now shouldn't impact what I can get in the future anyway.

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,532 Posts
An SSD should work, but there have been instances were BIOSs don't boot with them.

I recommend you save the money for the whole build instead of buying new pieces at a time.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm beginning to think that might be best, just sucks cause I was waiting a year for it but went wild with my money my first year at uni :(

Another option would be just for me to straight up get this, which I might do:
Acer Acer Predator G3-605 Intel® Core™ i5 Processor, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb Storage, NVIDIA GTX980 4Gb Dedicated Graphics, Desktop Base Unit- Black/Orange | very.co.uk

From what I can see it seems good for a pre-built one (one thing I was worried about was airflow/temperature but people seem to be saying that that's fine). Of course it's more expensive than if I just wait until next year and buy the parts and build it myself, though.

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,532 Posts
I thought you were on a budget here. For that price you could build a new system.

Either way, that one is decent enough for your needs. PSU will be low quality, but it could be replace in due time.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought you were on a budget here. For that price you could build a new system.

Either way, that one is decent enough for your needs. PSU will be low quality, but it could be replace in due time.
I thought that I could get it on buy now pay later, but sadly I don't have the credit for it. Marked as solved because pretty much my only option now is either nothing or getting the screen + an SSD + a new case. So I'm going for the SSD + case and hoping my BIOS accepts it :) Then I'll pretty much get a whole new system / upgrade everything in february when i get my money. I'll probably post back here then when I have the money :)

·
Banned
267 Posts
If it were me I would just get a decent AMD 970 board that you can run your 955BE and current ram on now, and get the case too. I would wait on the SSD. That way you can later easily get something like an FX 6300 or FX 8320 and some DDR3 1600 and it won't cost as much as an Intel setup. I know you're likely trying to save some money as a student, and that is what I would do.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
a decent AMD 970 board that you can run your 955BE and current ram
Do you know of one? As far as I know the 900 series chipsets do not support DDR2 memory.

·
Banned
267 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.