Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok right now i have an Intel D865PERL MoBo with the P4 2.8E GHz HT 800FSB CPU. the cpu over heats and i have to put a desktop fan blowing right into the case. the case is an ATX form Factor. i am looking to upgrade to an AMD board. with possibility of SLI with nVidia cards. one to start with. PCI-e. and i am also looking for an AMD CPU that has better specs than the P4 i have now. but for not too much. i don't wanna spend more than 600$ mebbe 700. for both the CPU and the MoBo. could someone reccomend sumnthin for me? and also an aftermarket CPU heatsink and fan too woulod be appreciated thanks.

and if you can find a MoBo/CPU combo that would be good too. i am looking around myself but i wanna get some input about some things first

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi Norin,

I upgraded from an ASUS P4C800-e deluxe with a P4 2.8 not too long ago. Didn't get rid of the unit, but kept that one as my spare computer.

I upgraded to an ASUS A8N-sli deluxe with a Athlon 64 San Diego 3700+. What a unit, I personally think this unit is not only reasonably priced, but is a pleasure to use and build. Put a Sata drive on it with a half ways decent pci-e and you would like it very much. Might want to take a look at this unit and as a rule NewEgg or ZipZoomFly has the best prices at this time.

I have no interest in bringing my P4 back as my main station at this time. Hope that gives you an option to look at.

·
Registered
166 Posts
norin said:
and i am also looking for an AMD CPU that has better specs than the P4 i have now. but for not too much. i don't wanna spend more than 600$ mebbe 700.
Geez, with that kind of money you'd kill your P4. Go with one of the new AMD athlon 64 dual core processors. But you could also buy a better CPU and Mobo for about $300-$400.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. and how much would a dual core AMD64 run me? with the mobo to support it.?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Processor: http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4462226?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Motherboard: http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4470196?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Too bad theres no picture, but by looking at the specs, it looks like a good motherboard. I think I read its a good gaming board.

Edit: This will cost just over $700 plus the video card you need for it since it doesnt have any onboard video.

Heres a cheaper AMD64 Dual-core processor. http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4521607?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
would the dual core be any better than the 4000+ 64 AMD CPU for gaming? i know the dual core is more targeted towards promoting multitasking... but will it work for me and gaming much better than the 4000+?

and also i read somewhere that the nVidia nForce 2 is better than nForce 3 and nForce 4 is this true? i read this a few months back. so would this have changed as back then the nForce 4 was relatively new, and they may have updated it since then?

·
Registered
166 Posts
norin said:
would the dual core be any better than the 4000+ 64 AMD CPU for gaming? i know the dual core is more targeted towards promoting multitasking... but will it work for me and gaming much better than the 4000+?
Right now, I would say no because there aren't any games on the market that take advantage of what an AMD 64 Dual-core CPU can do. Its the same with PCI-Express. We can have these hella fast graphic's cards, but there aren't any games that take advantage of it yet.

Has for Nvidia, sorry, I have no clue :sayno:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.