Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ya'll i have done something here and have no clue how to fix it. First of all my 20 gig hdrive is partitioned into two c:=2gig and D:=18gig. C: was for the O/S and D:for information this is a dell latitude LS laptop with dock.

The main problem is that when the upgrade was done my D DRIVE WAS GONE AND STILL IS. HELP ME PLEASE ALOT OF WORK ON THAT DRIVE . and dumb me didn't make recent back-up

SCissons:confused:

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
If you deleted the partition and it got formatted there's not alot of options. How much memory is your C drive showing now?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the actual C: is showing just the 2gig as it was before and the d: never showed as being changed during the upgrade.

·
929 Posts
I see. If it never ask about the partition I would maybe place it as a slave into another computer and just see if it showed up then. Hummm let me check into that alittle more and see what I can come up with. I think I can help you if that dosen't work I just want to be sure before I offer you any advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unfortunatly i'am at work right now and can't get to the computer also i would feel uncomfortable pulling the hard drive from the laptop. Tha one major thing i was thinking the problem could be is that the difference in the filing systems between 95 and 2K the FAT32 and NTFS could be the reason that it is not reading the second partition that would have been created with FAT not the NTFS that 2K uses. could that have something to do with it?:confused:

·
929 Posts
Now were on track, which system is your OS running on fat or ntfs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the 2gig c drive that is showing up is ntfs and if i'm not misstaken 95 has always been fat16 or fat 32

·
Registered
289 Posts
Where are you looking to see what you see? Right click "My computer, select manage, and open disk management. What"s there? Win2k can see FAT with no trouble, it just has no security features. You should see all your drive info there. What shows in addition to C:, if you installed on the 2GB portion the rest may show as unallocated. If you didn't format that part the data is there. You have to be logged as "Administrator" is this a personal mach. I assume so since you don't say otherwise.:bandit:
There is alot of security with NTFS but you would have had to chosen that option for C: part when you installed. You can always run "convert (drive): /FS:ntfs" to go from FAT to NTFS, but never back once it is done. Anyway what's in Disk Mang?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey sorry it has been so long without a reply but work has been crazy but finally back on it now i went through the manage the disk management when that came up it was showing:

c: = 2gb partition and an unallocated drive showing 16.62 GB
is there a way that i can create a partition using that unallocated drive and not have to format the drive and lose all the iformation on that drive.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
scissons said:
c: = 2gb partition and an unallocated drive showing 16.62 GB
is there a way that i can create a partition using that unallocated drive and not have to format the drive and lose all the iformation on that drive.
Nope!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Can't you partion the drive with some 3rd party software like partition magic? or recover the information with some sort of utility?

There's gotta be a way!!

TC

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If there used to be a partition there, you could probably use one of the disk editors to rebuild the partition table, but it would take a lot of work and luck to actually recover the files. It's been a LOOOOOONG time since I even tried to use a disk editor to do something like this, back in the MS-DOS days. :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
hehe me too, just thought I'd throw it in there as a glimmer of hope!
:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when the system was 95 there was a partition there for that space. so if i could use and editor to get the info where would i get one also how would i do it.???????????

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
scissons said:
when the system was 95 there was a partition there for that space. so if i could use and editor to get the info where would i get one also how would i do it.???????????
Therein lies the problem! :D Like I said, I haven't tried this for years, I've become convinced that good backups are a much more expedient method of insuring data integrity. :)

There are things around, Acronis Disk Editor for one. Editing and restoring the disk partition table assumes a lot of knowledge about the specifics of the disk structure, it's not something that can be "cookbooked".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i don't know if this would work but if i were to reformat the 2gig part of the drive and go back to the win 95 would the partition that is missing become visible again. so i can create a backup of all the information then do a complete reformat.????????:confused:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I honestly don't have any idea what effect that would have. If the information is really valuable, I'd consider a data recovery service. Failing that, seek out a local expert and make your best attempt to recover the data. If you keep hacking at it without really knowing what the issue is, sooner or later you'll probably eliminate any possibility of recovering the data.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.