Tech Support Forum banner

Updating the AMIBIOS on a MS-1757 with no sys manufacturer

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  SpywareDr 
#1 ·
I have an old gaming laptop here from an unknown manufacturer that I'm trying to clean up, It was custom made back in 2014 or so and has no external MSI markings or Asus markings. I'm trying to update the BIOS installed which is the AMIBIOS version E1757IG6.719 dated 03/14/2014. However, the make and model of the motherboard is an MSI MS-1757 and there is no "System Manufacturer" recorded anywhere in the system.

I don't know why AMIBIOS was flashed onto the motherboard instead of the MSI Bios but I've half a mind to overwrite it with the proper MSI bios. I'm worried it''s brick the computer though, and I don't want to ruin a fine computer. Anybody ever run into this problem? Would overwriting the BIOS with a different one brick the whole thing? Any tips from people who've dealt with this kind of thing before?

Apparently updating the AMIBIOS is tough without knowing the original manufacturer. I've done as much digging as I can with this one, I've used the motherboard ID tool (MBIDWIN) from the American Megatrends website, I've checked the windows system information manually, I've used CPU-Z to get the info, and nowhere is the System Manufacturer listed, just the motherboard manufacturer.

#2 ·
#3 ·
This doesn't help me, though I appreciate the effort. The motherboard doesn't come up on their website, though I'm certain it is in fact an MSI motherboard. The question still stands, would overwriting the old bios with a new one be a bad thing?

#5 ·
I'd like to bump this, I ran into the same problem as the creator of this topic, with similar conditions, custom made laptop from my nephew, giving alot of BSOD's that after updating all the software drivers, still indicate that the root of the problem might be deeper and thus a motherboard/bios update is my next step. Found the following with Speccy:
Motherboard
Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
Model MS-1757 (SOCKET 0)
Version REV:0.B
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Haswell
Chipset Revision 06
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model HM87
Southbridge Revision C2
BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version E1757IG6.510
Date 6-8-2013

I'm hesitant to use updates for above since I'm not that experienced in how to pick the right drivers.

Hope this might also assist Baddwolfe in his search.

Kind regards,

Jortjaah

#8 ·
It's sort of like how older Sony VAIO laptops and desktops would use Asus boards, and the numbering / model would be identical on the PCB itself to full retail models but in your case depending on the actual maker (who made the laptop) you may or may not be able to use an actual MSI BIOS (retail laptop BIOS). It could be an off-OEM like Sager that used the MSI mobo. Can you provide some detailed photos of the laptop shell? bottom/side.top? I would advise you make a best effort to find out who the maker was.

#9 ·
Not sure how much problems you have with the laptop, but I recommend not upgrading before fixing , and if all works ok not upgrading the bios at all (only if you have major problems and nothing else works or need new CPU/ram support) . first test memory and hdd for errors. than do a virtual win test and see if that gives any errors.
So many things can go wrong ,from thermal paste to dirt under the power button. (seen it all)

#10 ·
The operating system was totally wiped and reinstalled, I then installed all the drivers manually as well. The problem is that his wifi chip, an intel dual band 3160HMW isn't registering at all on his laptop. I figured bios might fix that problem, but I'm gonna try replacing the chipset first just in case. Jorjaah and I seem to have the exact same problems though, it's a sticky situation.

#12 ·
Since your "IMG-9216.jpg" appears to show "Notebook PC" "MS-1757", if you do a Google search with that info it reveals that it is a MSI laptop. So do a Google search of MSI.com's site, like this:

to find out more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.