Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a Nvidia 6200 GE Force Video card. I have a desktop HP a220n desktop Pavillion.
I was having problems with the onboard video card, that why I bought the external card. After installing he card and adding the drivers there seems to be an issue with different areas on website or certain icons with the quality of the images. Such as broken lines or perferated hole like images in different areas. Anyway, I tried the driver from the disc, then other drivers from the net. This is after I spoke to someone at Tech support at Nvidia. I was getting at times a blue screen error nv_agp.sys Address F789BDAB. The computer would then keep reboot on its own and after a cold boot. I was told that the bios made need updating. The computer is about 4 1/2 years old. What do you suggest. To make this right.

Thank you......
The Replicator

·
Registered
656 Posts
I highly disagree with a bios update. The only reason you would need a bios update is if your agp slot read only x2 and that was a 4x-8x card and there was a bios update just for this reason. But this is unlikely.

When installing a card on a mobo that has onboard you need to go into the bios and turn off the onboard. Seeing how your monitor is plugged into the back of the card now and no on the mobo any longer leads me to believe you have done this. There might also be a AVG setting in the bios that needs to be enable. Id look around in there. If you dont have the manual, look it up and download it so you can double check as you go.

Drivers could be an issue. So could Direct X. The lasted issue of drives isnt alwasy the best. You can sometimes pick up old drivers from the makers web site. But in any event. Grab a few different ones. Pick up a download of direct x or a link to where you can d/l it.

First step is to go start/control panel/system/hardware/device manager. Under display will be your video card (good time to make sure no conflicts are happening with other pieces of hardware while your here) right click, uninstall. Restart computer.

Install new driver of your choice, install a fresh Direct X. Give it a test. Repeat if needed.

Lastly, could be your video card is bad. Could be the AGP slot is bad... Let us know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
have you disabled the onboard in the bios and the device manager
when installing new drivers you have to uninstall the old ones first
in the device manager uninstall the card
reboot tapping f8 and choose vga mode
when windows finishes rebooting
disable a/virus
install your drivers
reboot the computer
check your power supply is putting out a min of 18amps on the the 12v line