Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I posted one of these about a month ago before SB processors were out. I am coming closer to graduation and now that the SB processors out its probably a good time to start up my research again. Will I be buying a laptop in the next month? Probably not, but it gives me plenty of time to do my research and get a good grip on the list of SB laptops that will be out. To give you some back ground I will be doing Mechanical Engineering (thus running programs like AutoCAD, all the engineering programs, etc). From what I hear a 14+ inch screen is pretty much required, however I NEED portability, but still want top notch performance. I will be running everything from Word, Photoshop, itunes, media, games (maybe an MMORPG, but I have an xbox 360 for things like COD and what not). A big concern is good battery life, I would like at least 4-5 hours AT LEAST. I really like the SAGER laptops, but they don't seem very portable and I don't know what their battery life is like with the new processors. Also, I would really like a SSD. Here is a list of laptops I have looked at and are interested in:
HP Envy 14 (hopefully updated with SB)
Lenovo (although Im not a huge fan of the industrial look)
Sager
Sony Vaio S Series (although screen is way to small )
Macbook Pro 15
HP Elitebook (can't find updated version)
1) What is your budget?
$2500
2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator. United States

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Apple, Sager, Sony, HP
b. Dislike: N/A

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
Not really
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Engineering programs, some games, Media, Photoshop, etc
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? YES, need PORTABILITY

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? Maybe, MMORPGs (Rift, EQ2)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 4-5 AT LEAST (the more the better)

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Not necessary
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
Windows, Mac

Screen Specifics
HD if possible
glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
doesn't matter
Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
YES
15) When are you buying this laptop?
Probably in about 2 months
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
As long as possible
Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
SSD!!
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
Blu ray would be nice

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suggestion don't buy an HP, they break a lot and do have a lot of problems.
Not to be rude but thats not much of a suggestion, HP has a higher break percentage because so many people buy their low-middle end laptops. Their premium laptops are great computers and in fact if HP comes out with the new SB Elitebook its probably one of my top 3 choices. Next time please provide a more detailed response with a little more help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.