Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been a long time reader on this forum and most of the time I was able to find my answers with the search option. This time however, I'm clueless! So I hope I can count on your expertise. ;)

Yesterday I formatted a friend's computer and installed Windows 7 (he used Vista previously). He can't work at the moment due to an accident, so he's gaming a lot. I told him that Win7 had much better performance than Vista and that he should consider to upgrade. After installing everything we immediately noticed that the performance was much worse...

He mainly plays Diablo 3 and was able to get a very stable framerate in Vista and he always even watched internet streams meanwhile on his secondary display (Full HD TV, connected with VGA).

I installed all latest Nvidea drivers on Windows 7, disconnected the second display, ... And while playing Diablo 3 he gets major framedrops and stutters. To be honest it isn't playable this way.

What could cause this difference in performance? I feel bad for formatting his PC, promising him better performances and seeing that I've almost ruined his gaming experience...

SPECS:

Acer ASPIRE G7710
VGA: GTX285
CPU: i7 2,67ghz
RAM: 6GB
Win7 64 bit with latest updates

I'm clueless :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I've installed most of them, except for the VGA drivers since they are outdated?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response! I'll check it tonight, because the computer is at a friend's home.

I think it's really strange, I've never encountered something like this. Could it be that the GTX285 is sluggish in Win7 because it's a Direct X 10 card, whilst Win7 is build around DX11?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you went to the Nvidia website and got the drivers from there?:

NVIDIA DRIVERS 301.42WHQL

Also sometimes disabling AREO will improve performance quite abit.
That's the driver that I installed! I'll check if disabling Aero will improve the framerate.

The strange thing is that the drops don't specifically occur on graphically heavy moments (a lot of action on the screen), it just seems like random stutters. Something even when there isn't anything happening or we even see the animations of the main menu stutter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just out of curiosity can you name the PSU make and wattage?. How old is this computer? and this this the original GPU that came with the computer?
I don't know the brand of the PSU, but it's rated between 750 and 1000w if I remember correctly. The computer is around 3 years old and everything is original.

I don't think it's hardware related because everything worked super smooth with Vista... :sad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Obviously it not an issues with any hardware. There has been number of occasion with me too when i tried to play GTA vice city in my win 7,it was preety well.But when i tried its new version GTA san andreas into win 7 it just couldn't play,it would have lots of framedrops.Although the system requirement for both the games were same. I tried many thing but found no solution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.