Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i get this error message when trying to install SP2 on my XP. (note my xp is fully liscensed and legal copy) The error pops up when i sp2 has finished extracting the files it needs to install.

update.exe-Illegal System DLL Relocation

The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll occupied an address range reserved for Windows System DLL's. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.

any help would be nice

thanks

steviedee>>>

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
I'm not sure as this error is similar to those received in Win NT 3.5 and 4, and IE SP2 updates, but I believe its because your user32.dll and your SHELL32.DLL are different versions. Your user32.dll is up to date while your SHELL32.DLL is from an older version of Win.
Did you upgrade Windows?

Go to Start>Run> type: sfc /scannow and hit enter.
Wait for it to check system files and if it asks for the XP CD, have it handy and put it inside the drive.

See if that alleviates your problem. After this restart your computer and run the updates again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, that worked well!

great suggestion.

i am now performing an installation of service pack 2, in the past it has frozen at "running system processes" but i shall inform you on how it goes.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.