Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the Asus site for driver updates, and noticed that there's a BIOS update for my desktop (Z87 Deluxe mobo). I downloaded the files. They consist of 2 folders, both zipped. Both contain batch files, one "update.bat" and one "ver64.bat". Neither the Asus site nor the folder contain any instructions for running the update. My guess is the "update.bat" file is the one I need to run, but making a mistake when trying to update a BIOS can leave you with a $1,500 paper weight.

Anyone know the procedure for using these BIOS update files?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
may i ask why you want to update the bios? a bios update should only be done if it addresses a problem.
I thought somebody would say that. This update was issued 3/4/14 and is supposed to reduce instability in the OS. My OS is Win 7. It has crashed maybe twice in the 8 months I've had it, and even those were not BSODs or anything; clicks on the mouse just stopped working. So I don't consider that I have a "stability" problem. I'll leave well enough alone.

Thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good! That's what I'm used to with other makers, like HP.

However, while I know I have a Z87-Deluxe, the choices on that site list that PLUS "Z87-Deluxe Dual" and "Z87-Deluxe Quad". What do the "Dual" and "Quad" refer to? The CPU? My CPU is an Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell, which has 4 cores. I was not aware that you could use anything but a quad-core on a Z87-Deluxe mobo.

So which mobo do I choose to update the BIOS, or is the BIOS actually the same for all of them?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how about reading your manual? all of the instructions and explanations are in it.
I hope you're kidding. I got this computer from Micro Express. They provide no manuals. I think they have one guy who answers the phone for tech support. Their computers are unbelievably good, but the after-purchase support is essentially non-existent.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
well you didn't say that.

Most people buy their mobos from proper places where they get all the documents etc.

which z87 mobo do you have? a sabertooth a p5b or what?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well you didn't say that.

Most people buy their mobos from proper places where they get all the documents etc.

which z87 mobo do you have? a sabertooth a p5b or what?
I've never heard of those. And I have to eat crow on "no manual". I went thru the stuff that came with the computer and found an "Asus Z87-Deluxe User Guide". But nowhere does it call the mobo anything but "Z87-Deluxe". The BIOS features are as follows:

"64Mb Flash ROM, UEFI AMI BIOS, PnP, DMI 2.0, WfM 2.0, SM BIOS 2.5, ACPI 2.0a, Multi-language BIOS, ASUS EZ Flash 2, ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3, My Favorites, Quick Note, Last Modified Log, F12 PrintScreen function, F3 Shortcut functions, And ASUS DRAM SPD (Serial Presence Detect) memory information"

Z87 Express Chipset description:

"The Intel Z87 Express Chipset is a single chipset that supports the LGA1150 socket for 4th generation Intel Core i7/Core i5/Corei3 and Celeron processors. It utilizes the serial point-to-point links, which increases bandwidth and enhances the system's performance. It natively supports up to six USB 3.0 ports for up to ten times faster transfer rate than USB 2.0 and enables the iGPU function for Intel integrated graphics performance."

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
Are you running a 32 bit version of windows or a 64 bit version?

I have just downloaded the bios for the 32 bit version and 64 bit version for your board. You must have downloaded the wrong thing as the BIOS extensions as is always with asus boards is .CAP sometimes you have to rename the .CAP

This is the page you need, you need to select what OS you have and download the appropriate bios for either 32 bit or 64 bit. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87DELUXE/HelpDesk_Download/

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you running a 32 bit version of windows or a 64 bit version?

I have just downloaded the bios for the 32 bit version and 64 bit version for your board. You must have downloaded the wrong thing as the BIOS extensions as is always with asus boards is .CAP sometimes you have to rename the .CAP

This is the page you need, you need to select what OS you have and download the appropriate bios for either 32 bit or 64 bit. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87DELUXE/HelpDesk_Download/
No, I downloaded the one for 64-bit Win 7, and it does have a .CAP extension. Also downloaded the updater. I have both in the same folder. So I assume I double-click the updater and it automatically applies the update.

I am still concerned about this process. It is not like what most other manufacturers do, which is (a) scan your computer and identify which file you need, then (b) download that file, which is typically a .exe file. You then just double-click to run it and it flash updates the BIOS.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
no you should not do that. You never update through windows.

extract the .cap file and put it on a usb flash drive

Then go into the BIOS and go to the asus ez flash it should detect the cap file (you may have to select the drive)

then press ok and yes you are sure and dont go anything till its over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.