Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I had an icon pop up on my desktop about 5 times a week and was advised to install Startup cop in order to get rid of it.
I downloaded Startup Cop checked the starup items and then uninstalled it.

However, now when I start up and the desktop appears there is a box saying: Cannot find'program'(or one of its components)Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are avilable.

Click off that and another box appears DESKTOP Could not find 'program' specified in the WIN.INI. file.

Click off that and a MS.DOS prompt box appears.

I am still rather computer illiterate so I might have done something wrong.

Could anyone help me get rid of these if you can.

Single step by step, please.

Thanks Basil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have solved the first two problems myself, but I am still left with the MS-DOS prompt that comes on the screen immediately the dek top appears.

Anyone any ideas how to get rid of this permanently.

Thanks Basil

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
woah

my mother in laws machine does that dos prompt box on startup.

i have always wondered why.

the last thing that starts up on her machine is a dos prompt window.

i havent tried to go in and kill it, because she is happy just closing it and forgetting about it.

im sure it is some sort of garbage that something did when it was installed, and didnt undo itself when it was uninstalled.

(the machine i am talking about has been used to view everything on the internet, has had dozens of thing installed and most of them uninstalled, and has never been properly cleaned, and she hates it)

not that this makes much difference in what you guys are talking about, but it is the same dos prompt.

anyway, i would also be interested in hearing what this is.

i am also sorta XP illiterate, so if someone could explain the right way to go in and scrape that thing out of there, so that it stops opening, i would gladly try it first and tell you how it went....

~BoB~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BoB, Sconnell gives an answer at:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win95_3x/Win95/Q_10163636.html

The only problem is that I run 98 and not 95 and the entries in

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SW /microsoft windows/ current version/run

are different to those of the question Iray

I have;

AUXXTRAY
AVG_CC
HPS Scan patch
hpsysdrv
Keyboard manager
Stilll magemonitor
System tray
Task Monitor

Have you any idea if this makes a difference?

Anyway if you would like to try it and then tell me how to do it i would be very grateful

Basil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, another clue is that it appeared after uninstalling advanced startup cop. Although there is no reference to it in the part of the registry that sconnell mentioned

Basil

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Is it a DELL....

There is somekind of regmon that runs on some Dell machines

you treid going start -run -msconfig and taking items one at a time out of start up???

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
basil said:
I have;

AUXXTRAY
AVG_CC
HPS Scan patch
hpsysdrv
Keyboard manager
Stilll magemonitor
System tray
Task Monitor
The one that looks a bit odd is "default", I'd see what that points to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm running Win98se on a hp pavilion 6605.

Thanks for your suggestions Johnwill and Doonz. Have checked your ideas out with no success. I have a registry clean up program I run regularly but I cannot find the MS DOS item anywhere.

It is not too much of a problem and does not effect the running of my computer so I will put up with it.

Thanks again

Basil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.