Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys. I just finished working on a co workers desktop computer. It's a Gateway 9310XL. It's a fairly old computer that had a boatload of problems. What I did is that I basically backed up his stuff, restored his computer to factory settings, uninstalled the garbage that Gateway put on it, and put on programs such as Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, cccleaner, etc. and I let Windows Update do it's thing as well.

Now I've run into a rather odd problem. After starting up, Windows XP just hangs at a black screen for 3+ minutes and I have no idea why. It goes past the loading screen with the blue bar but before the computer says "Welcome", it's just stuck at a black screen forever. His CD drives are empty, and the only thing that's in the computer is my mouse and keyboard.

For the heck of it, I included the dxdiag file hoping it might bring up some clues.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope! I just tried it and it started up almost instantly. Guess that means one of my programs is making it take a while to start up?

I think the only things that load up are:
Nvidia Control Panel
Windows XP Search Bar from Microsoft
Filehippo.com Update Checker
Microsoft Security Essentials

·
Premium Member
41,821 Posts
Go to Start/Run and type msconfig and press enter. Choose Diagnostic Startup and restart. If that works, then enable each of the startup items until you find the one that is the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.