Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a Airlink 29150 v2 with the latest firmware.

I'm currently living at a bedsit where I get my internet connection provided by the University of Bergen, I get the internet connection by connecting with VPN from my Mac/PC. I haven't had a lot of difficulties with it before (over 2 years), just the occasional problem that've solved itself. For some reason, after I came back from vacation, there seems to be lot of problems with it.

I didn't experience any troubles for the first few hours after coming back sunday, but then I experienced trouble keeping my vpn-connection going, it started disconnecting or be laggy within seconds or minutes after I briefly was connected to the internet. My connection to the router itself never seems to be interrupted, neither with cable or wireless.

It was late, so I thought it was a problem with the service provider and just went to bed shortly after.

Next day it worked again. So I used it without problems for hours, but then started experiencing trouble again, on the evening. I thought it could be overload issue on the internet from UiB. Again, I just gave up solving the problem.

Today, I've taken several steps in order to try and resolve and find out the reason behind my troubles, since the connections issue was there right from I waked up this time.

So I tried to just ignore the router and connect my Macbook Pro directly to the internet plug in the wall with a internet cable. This worked for hours.

After being on the internet for a while I decided I would try to connect to the router again. I turned wireless off, switched which cable went from the wan-port to the wall and let my Mac be connected to the internet, still with cable, via the router. That worked for many hours aswell.

Then I decided it was time to try wireless again, but that failed. Whenever I tried to connect I would only get brief periods of connection and/or it would be very laggy.

I decided to turn on my PC (Windows Vista) and tried connect with that, that didn't work either, just for brief periods, even shorter than the Mac, it seemed. So next I tried to use what worked earlier with my mac. To connect it with cable trough the router and turn wireless on the router off. Same problem with connection for just brief periods of time.

I tried to go to the Internet Status page on the router. Every time I used "Release connection", followed by "Renew connection" it would briefly allow me to get connected again. Sometimes I wouldn't even have to do that, it would just connect and disconnect on and off for every time it tried to reconnect the VPN-connection on the PC again. It would be brief spots, maximum 30 seconds, where I would be connected to internet, but then the VPN-connection would be terminated again.

So I tried to just not use the router again, and plug the internet cable to my windows PC directly to the wall.

Then it was stable for 30 minutes before I decided to try via the router again, failed again.

Then I tried connecting the macbook with cable via the router again, which had worked without problems earlier the day. This time it got off with a laggy start, but was then stable for 30-40 before the vpn-connection got terminated again...

I'm not really sure what this could be a problem with... the router or ISP... Any thoghts on the matter? I don't think it can be the ISP (UiB) since it seems to be rock solid when my mac or pc is connected directly to the wall, then again it doesn't seem to be a problem with the router either, since I never lose local connection to the router itself.

·
Networking Team Emeritus
7,376 Posts
If you have connected directly to the isp without the router and are having problems then i would contact your isp as it is part of their service to resolve connection issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.