Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I boot up XP, I get a handy little message next to my name as the logon screen appears that I have "1 Unread E-Mail Message". This would be great exceept I have no new mail.

You see, I've signed in to .net, & then off of .net - rebooted. I've removed my .net passport from my profile - rebooted. I've ALSO removed MSN Messenger from my machine - rebooted. All of this with no luck.

Any takers?

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,697 Posts
I know that it remembers how many mails you had from the last session you had with whatever program it got that from. So now if you have no way to log into that account, it received that message from, it will continue to display 1 message. Especially if it was MSN. Im sure there is something you can edit to remove this, but I have not come across it yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks anyway, Mr. Specs.

I think I found it somwhere else (TweakXP forum). Here's what I found:

Disable the Unread Mail Message on the Welcome Screen (Windows XP)
Category: Home > Windows > Login and Authentication
This setting can be used to remove the message on the Windows Welcome screen showing the number of unread e-mails.

Open your registry and find the key below. You may need to create the key if it does not already exist.

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called 'MessageExpiryDays' and edit the value according to the settings below.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
MessageExpiryDays REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\...

Registry Settings
User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersionUnreadMail]
Value Name: MessageExpiryDays
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 3 = default)

Sound right anyone?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same funny message ones........except that it said "68 unread messages"........ but after a few reboots it just disappeared. :)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Q. How can I reset the unread-email counter on the Windows XP Welcome logon screen?

A. The unread-email counter that appears on the XP Welcome screen can sometimes indicate that more unread messages exist than the actual number of messages. Although several scenarios can lead to this error, a common example is when another user accesses your machine to check his or her email while you're logged on.

The best way to clear the unread-email counter is to download the Tweak UI XP PowerToy ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp ) and perform the following steps:
1. Start Tweak UI.
2. Select the Repair branch in the left-hand pane of the dialog box.
3. Select "Repair unread mail count" in the right-hand pane, then click "Repair Now".
4. Close Tweak UI.

Alternatively, you can use the registry to reset the unread-email counter by performing the following steps:
1. Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
2. Navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\<email
address> subkey.
3. Double-click Message Count, set the value to 0, then click OK.
4. Close the registry editor.

--------------------

Q. How can I remove the unread-email counter from the Windows XP Welcome logon screen?

A. If your computer belongs to a workgroup and you use the XP Welcome logon screen to log on to that workgroup, the OS will display the number of unread messages on the logon screen. To disable this feature, perform the following steps:
1. Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
2. Navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail
subkey.
3. Double-click MessageExpiryDays (or create a new value of type DWORD if MessageExpiryDays doesn't exist), set the value to 0, then click OK.
4. Close the registry editor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mail

I'm glad I found this site and forum!!! I've been using xp for only a few weeks now. I finally figured out the mail count was referring to my AOL account!!!.. which is not even my internet provider.. I have a cable modem. I'm not going to do any reg hacks .. just went through hell with my old pc that went bonkers .. rather than just clearing the entries, I wouldn't mind changing the reader to tell me how many messages outlook 2000 has ..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same here, canceled an Email account that was getting trashed with spam(oh no!) and kept getting Email nag at signon. A few reboots and it went away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Unread Mail" Logon Message Fix

LostJaw...

If you open up registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersionUnreadMail]

You will find an entry for each of your email accounts.Value Name. By opening each key and changing the value for MessageCount to 0, you can turn off this erroneous message.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unread e-mail

Okay, I had this problem for a while until I found out what was causing it. I had a second identity on Outlook Express for my brother to use, then the message came up at the next boot 7 unread messages. I checked and I had none. I switched accounts, and bingo! 7 unread messages. Best thing is to check alternate accounts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Use TweakUI for XP http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
(147 KB file)

Tweak UI Screenshot Tips & Tricks: http://www.pcc.org/members/tips/tips0208.shtml

When installed go to
+Logon
hightlight "Unread Mail" and un-check
"Show unread mail on Welcome screen" / Apply / Ok
or highlight Repair / from the drop down menu select
"Repair unread mail count" / Repair Now / Apply / Ok

Or

Disable Unread Mail on the Welcome Screen (Line 100)
To use the VBS Files:
Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive
(you may want to right click and use Save Target As).
Double click the vbs file.
You will be prompted when the script is done.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts
I keep getting an error message when I reboot. The error message says "winlogon.exe - Application Error. The exception unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) occured in the application at location 0x7c812afb. Also I'm getting an additional error that says " Access violation at address 004038A8 in module "hlyl.exe" Read of address FFFFFFFC. I've tried to run win xp recovery but my disk has an error on it. Can anyone help me with this problem?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.