Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unproductive wireless connection

901 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  johnwill 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have just moved into an appartment complex that has wireless broadband access. I bought a Dlink DWL-G122 wireless usb adaptor, and connected to my pc. The first couple of days i had fantastic connectivity and really fast browsing and downloads.

As of today, i am struggling to get anything out of my connection. It takes forever to load web pages, downloads are as slow as my old dial up, and my msn keeps dropping out and not being able to sign back in.

I checked my settings against my flatmates laptop. They are the same as far as i can tell, and she's still getting great service.

The odd thing is that i seem to have a very good signal (4 out of 5) and my speed is hovering between 48.0 and 54.0 mbps.

When i checked the activity i am sending 20% more data packets than i am receiving despite attempting to download with limewire. 6800 sent 5000 received after 25 minutes of activity.

I have disabled windows firewall.

Please help

See less See more
#3 ·
its all good

Hi,

Thanks for the assist john. I tried a couple of the things you suggested, but after trying out a few malware and spyware programs i figured out i had some serious issues. So i formatted my c:/ drive. After i reloaded windows, and downloade AVG, and Spybot, everything has been great. Another great program i downloaded was driver detective. It's fantastic. I couldnt get sound and video to work after reloading because i misplaced some discs when i moved. But for $29US it has fixed me right up and updated some drivers i had no idea were out of date.

Thanks for your help. Next time i have problems with my computer, i know just where to go.

Ben.:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.