Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bandit: :bandit: Where are my cool calm and collective techs when I need them? Lets see if we can do it again!

Recently my brothers computer wouldn't print, so like all computer owners, (even if they don't know what they're doing) he tried to fix it. Now he did fix it, but he tried to clear some space from his hard drive by removing a few programs and folders. I don't know exactly what he removed but it had to be serious because when he shut the computer down, then turned it on again it wouldn't boot to WIN. He has WIN 98.

:compute: Once I had gotten around to it, I turned the computer on and the message said " cdrom boot record not found" "floppy boot record not found" "ide something, something "OK""
I then used the restore disk and fully restored without formatting the hard drive. Everything was OK until I tried to open MS WORD and it gave me an error message and it wouldn't open. :smoke: Where are my cool, calm, and collective techs?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I don't know where they are all at so I'll take a stab at it until they get back. :tongue2:

What does the error message say exactly?

Although if you restored Windows only and did not re-install Word then I believe all your registry tags to Word would be gone.

The solution then would be to re-install Word. :)

But let me know what the error message says anyway..it might not be that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I re-installed MS Word, but no luck and as a matter of fact when I did reinstall word I ended up having to restore the system again. Where do I go from here I am sorry to seem so helpless but I am still a G.I.T (Genius in Training). :smurf:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I don't know if I classify as a cool, calm collected tech either, but I had that problem before also... my AV detected that a program had been infected, so I just deleted it... little did I know that it had stolen the ability to open *.exe.... it was a *.exe that opened *.exe's...... anyway on to the solution.... there is a prgram on Windows 98 called System File Checker..... so you need to go to the run menu and type sfc and then follow it's instructions... make sure it checks everything... let us know what happens with that :) I hope it works out for ya...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
simple word fix....works once in a blue moon.... normal.dot is the blank document that opens when you open word...delete it and it recreates itself....if it is corrupt it will cause all kinds of havoc....takes 2 seconds to delete ...specially if you have several (2 or more) copies...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.