Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning when I turned on my new pc it decided that I wasn't going to work. It gave me this message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly
installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware
or software manufacturer for any Windows Updates you might
need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed
hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as
Caching or Shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove
or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to
select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x81F59E30,0xC0000032,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Can someone please help me? I've tried running Windows in Safe Mode but the same bsod comes up everytime and I know i've never touched the memory settings. I don't think it would be a hardware problem but if it is a software problem then I have no idea which program is screwing things up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thanks for that, sorted out my problems... for awhile at least. Now I have a new Bsod that goes like this:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps.

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or
back up utilities. Check your hard-drive configuration and
check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for
hard-drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902f8,0xf89b1b70,0xf89b1870,0xf81548e9)

*** ntfs.sys - Address f81548e9 base at f8145000, DateStamp 3b7dc5d0

Safety mode still doesn't work and when I try loading the Windows XP Console I get this Bsod aswell. :angry2:

I badly need to hook my Beastie up to my dads Internet connection and update Windows.

S

·
0 Posts
I would do what the instructions say first, and if that doesn't work try booting to the XP CD and doing a fast repair by following the instructions during the boot process.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't do what the instructions tell me because it crashes to this Bsod every time I try to run under safety mode or load the recovery console.

What is a fast repair and how can I run one? The only options I see when I boot the Windows XP cd are Install, Repair with recovery console (which crashes) and Quit Setup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apsolutely NO. I have way to many important files on my computer to simply wipe. 200 or more hours in Baldur's Gate II, huge mp3 archive etc, etc, etc. I would break out and cry if this was my only option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't given up all hope just yet, i've seen another thread similar to this one. Apparently you need a boot disk or something, to get the recovery console to work, that I can download from www.bootdisk.com. Only problem is that I don't know which one to download or how to use one. Any help?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
There are four XP boot disk sets, and it depends on whether you have Home or Pro, and if SP1 was installed or not. Since you didn't specify any of this, it's hard to say which set you need.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
This is why backups are your best friend, with the cost of CD/RW drives so low and the in-expense of CDr's I'm surprised more people don't make frequent backups of their sensitive data.

Windows will fail, look at it like this 99% of the time an install of any Windows OS will fail completely or get so bogged down by little errors in the registry etc that it will need a clean install on average of every 9 months max. Win-XP Pro Iv had working straight without a reinstall for about 13 months now but its starting to show the classic "signs" thats its time.

BTW, if you cannot access the console off of the CD you will not be able to access it off the boot disks either. It would appear that vital operating files on your system have been corrupted for some reason which probably explains your initial error message which was a corrupted boot sector. I would "guess" that your best bet is to use a program that is designed to read the NTFS file system that XP uses and copy away the information you wish to save before reformatting the system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have the same problem too, but the last line is like this:
*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x80E5DE30,0xC0000006,0x00000000,0x00000000)
How do I solve it when I cannot even run the XP disk?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, everyone,

I had this problem yesterday after I moved my computer to basement. After I had everything connected, the blue screen appeared with the "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" "0x000000ED" message when I started the computer. I tried everything to recover, even kicking. I had a lot of important code stored in this computer. Although I backed up the data a couple of weeks ago, I certainly did not want to lose my recent work.

Today I was finally relieved after my computer fully recovered. Here is my steps to solve it. I hope you don't have to use crying towels if you have this problem.

Firstly you need make XP startup disks. You need 6 blank, formatted, high-density disks. To download, go to

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=E8FE6868-6E4F-471C-B455-BD5AFEE126D8

The recovery steps can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185

Insert startup disk #1 and start your computer... You will be prompt to insert the rest of the disks. Finally, you will be prompt to either setup or repair. Press "R" to enter XP recovery console.

In the dos prompt, type in "chkdsk /r". This did not work for me for the first time. I then typed in "fixboot" then I was prompt to confirm if I really wanted to do this. I typed "Y" to continue (though I doubted it could damage my files. but I did not lose any files after recovery). Then I saw a message which said a new boot was written successfully something like that. I then type in "chkdsk /r" again. Now it started perform check and recovery. But it stopped when 26% completed. I could not remember what exactly message said. I typed in fixboot and chkdsk command several times but the outcome was still disappointing.

I decided to start over. This time I did things a little different. At dos prompt, I typed in fixboot first then chkdsk. It w
orked!!! It took about an hour or so to reach the 100% check/recovery progress.

One more thing, when I ran "chkdsk /r", I was asked to specify location of autochk.exe. Simply type in "a:\autochk.exe". You
can download it here: http://n.ethz.ch/student/theilert/download/

Hope this help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.