Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the unmountable boot volume problem, so i tried the various recovery console commands, chkdsk /r, fixboot, etc. None of these worked. In fact, after chkdsk, it gives me the message that says it detected one or more 'unrecoverable problems,' which doesn't sound good. Any help?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
hello Beefheart, welcome to the forums !!!
ok, what you need to do is put a boot on and kick your computer...LOL j/k...
[edit] sorry, long day at work, typed up bunch a nonsense...this probably comes up when you boot up...you said you did run console recovery...did you build this pc yourself or did you buy it ?
this might be hardware problem also... wrong type of IDE cable and also sometimes when you have firewire type external storage, this error pops up...

I think this is usually caused by faulted boot.ini file...
if possible can you please list your system specs ? thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
System, Dell dimension 8100 , p4 1.7 256rdram.

The unmountable boot volume comes up everytime i boot up, even if I try to boot into any of the various safe modes, so I can't get into windows.

I went into the microsoft support, found this. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297185

I'm pretty sure this isn't the UDMA problem they mentioned, since this just sprang up randomly. I did everything they recommended with the recovery console, but it didn't work, and I got the kinda scary 'unrecoverable problem' message. I don't really know what else to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, as in Captain Beefheart.

This may be a stupid question, as I really don't know anything about the recovery console, but how would I do an XP update on the messed up computer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.