Tech Support banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently built a desktop PC and whilst using it my screen suddenly turned black and I got an error message titled ‘unmountable boot volume’. After the automatic reset, it did not troubleshoot itself, and even after creating a windows installation media I just saw a blank screen and could not troubleshoot. Have you got any recommendations for further solutions?

·
Premium Member
41,909 Posts
Hold the Shift key down and restart. This should give you the Troubleshooting menu, you may have to do it 3 times in a row. Under Troubleshooting, choose Advanced. Try a Startup Repair first. If that fails, it sounds like your SSD/HDD is either unplugged or it has failed. Is this a brand new Drive? Or is it Used? if an SSD, is it an NVME drive or a standard 2.5" SSD? Or a mechanical HDD? If either of the two later ones, check the cabling, make sure power and data cable are plugged in tightly to the drive and the data cable is plugged in tightly to the Motherboard. Try a different SATA Data cable, try a different Power Plug from the PSU. Try a different SATA port on the motherboard.
Plug your Windows Install USB Flash drive in and boot into Setup (Bios) Under System Information, it will show all of the drives on your computer. Is your SSD/HDD listed? If not, it has failed. Go to the Boot tab, if using UEFI Bios, your Flash drive should be listed, if not enable CSM/Legacy. The Flash drive can be moved to First Boot Device. Save and Exit. It should boot from the installer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I was not able to enter the troubleshooting menu, but I saw that my m.2 ssd and USB drive were both listed. It’s a brand new 1TB m.2.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
5,162 Posts
Sounds like your boot sector or main boot partition may be damaged. If you boot with a windows 10 disk and go to the repair option, are you able to view your drives and partitions from the command line? Something like this. I'd go to command prompt and see if you can enter DISKPART <enter>, then LIST VOLUME <enter>. That should show what disks and "drives" it sees.

·
Premium Member
41,909 Posts
If the drive you had Windows installed on is the new M.2 NVME SSD and it's showing in the Bios; then on a working computer, you can download the Free version of Minitool Partition Wizard and Create a Bootable Rescue Flash Drive inside the program. Then boot the troubled computer with the Flash Drive and Fix the Windows Boot With Minitool

1 - 6 of 6 Posts