Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago, I got 2 BSOD’s (one while installing a game, MS Freelancer, and another while downloading a large PDF file.) Both suggested to reboot, auto-running CHKDSK. Both times it came back with numerous “file record segment *** is unreadable” errors. After looking at numerous support forum posts, I ran CHKDSK /f /r, which showed 524K in bad sectors, but it seemed to solve the problem. Later scans showed the system steady at 524K in bad sectors.

Until today…

After installing and trying to run MS Flight Simulator 2004, I got another Blue Screen. It showed a 0x7A KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR similar to the other two instances. Only this time, upon rebooting, it did not run CHKDSK, but gave me another BSOD, with a 0xED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error.

I tried rebooting in Safe Mode, but as the drivers streamed by, it locked up on IOMDISK.sys. After waiting a few minutes, it went to the Blue Screen showing the same UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. Booting in Safe Mode with Command Prompt produced the same result. Trying to reboot in Windows normally caused it to lock up completely. (no BSOD)

I checked several support forums, and tried to boot from the Windows XP CD to access the Recovery Console. After pressing “R” to start the recovery console, it locked up displaying “Examining 152587 MB disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on iastor....” I tried this a few more times, getting the same result.

Again checking the forums, I decided to try some bootable hard drive diagnostic utilities, but could not get them to run. I have no CD burner or floppy drive, so I tried using a USB flash-drive, and a USB Memory Stick Adapter, but neither will boot the machine. The flash drive is not recognized, and the Memory Stick locks it up trying to boot. I did reconfigure the BIOS to recognize USB devices as bootable. I tried “Powermax” and the Hitachi “Drive Fitness Test. “[email protected] NTFS Reader” did not boot either.

So my question is, what can I try next? Is there another way to get these programs to run, and will they do anything? Judging from numerous posts, it looks like calling tech support will cause them to send me a new hard drive, but I would like to try to fix this one.

Vital Statistics:
Processor: Dell Dimension 8400 with Pentium 4 processor 540 with HT tech. (3.20Ghz, 800 FSB)
Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400 MHz (2x512M)
Hard Drive: 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ Native Command Queuing
CD/DVD Drive: 16X DVD-ROM drive
Video Card: 128MB PCI Express x 16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE
Sound Card: Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
when you start getting numerous bad sectors it is time to start thinking about replacing the drive
try a new eide cable

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
Also, see if you can borrow a floppy drive from a friend and see if you can boot the utils from that.

Unfortunately the old FDD hasn't died a slow and painful death yet....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I figured out how to use the Dell on board Diagnostics (Ctrl Alt D), and the hard drive came back as failing with Return Code: 7.

Looks like I'll be calling tech support.

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
Try looking here first and see if the 90/90 tool can help at all. Other code 7 S.M.A.R.T errors have been helped by this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh well, I called Dell and they're sending me a new hard drive. Now I just have to figure out how to get my data off the old one.

I thank you all for your help.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
when you get the new one up and running try slaving the old one to it and see if you can get what you want off

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.