Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was showing my brother my custom Firefox when it froze as it sometimes does, prompting an unsafe restart. (hold power button down).

Now when i boot i get blue screened with a bunch of HEX and UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DRIVE (or DISK)

I will upload the hex when I'm home if it helps anyone.

I tried every safe mode option inc use last settings that worked or whatever its called. I get the same error each time.

I'm wondering if someone could identify this as a hardware issue or an operating system issue. I'm quite capable of finding a solution, i just want to isolate the cause.

I don't know why it would be either, because it worked fine prior to restarting. But this is to often heard here.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Hi t-mpg !

Enter the BIOS at startup (repeatedly press the del key or look for some message telling you to press some key to enter setup) and check the boot order priority. Set it to HDD first and see if it gets any better.

If that didn't change anything then run a check disk : boot on an XP CD (change the boot order priority to CD-rom first in the BIOS), press 'R' to enter the recovery console then type chkdsk /R. Report if it finds any errors.

More info :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315403

What's the brand and model of this computer ? If this is some custom build then check the posting system specs link in my sig. What's the hard drive's manufacturer ? If chkdsk found errors on it it would be a good idea to run the manufacturer's diagnostic tool on it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.