Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Oh! What shall I be?
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier on my grandpartents computer not to long ago because they had avg free edition and they said that it did not work too good for them. i dont use the Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier so i gave it to them to use (i use mcafee that i got through aol), but since that day they get a message every time they turn the computer on. it has the tital Runner Error and i will attach a screen shot of it. i will make the pic smaller because i rushed and took the whole screen shot insted of just the dialog box. But if u want to see the whole screen tell me and i will post it. From what i see about the message it has nothing to do with Norton and the compter they had came with norton for 3 months i think. Before installing the new viruse scanner i gave them i made sure to get rid of any old ones they had.
The computer that have is an HP that has windows XP sp 2

i did tell them that they should reformat the hd and start over because they said they run the virus scan alot and it always comes up with something, i have dail up and so do they and i run a virus scan mayb once a month and most of the time i dont get anything, we both dont have a fire wall and i spend a lot mor time one the internet then they do. How many virus they had just seemed really high to me and not normal. i am really trying to get them to reformat but i dont know if they want to do that because then they may lose a lot of saved stuff they had. They also use spybot S&D and they even get alot for that compared to me.

Please tell me if u have any other possible solutions to this problem
Sorry if this is a little long but i wanted to post as much as i could. And also thank you to every one at this site, i have been here almost 3 and half years now and this site has helped me alot with my computers and also to learn more about computers.

Attachments

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
They obviously have some HP update trying to update itself at boot. Beings they have dial-up it is not connecting and giving this error.
Normally the Updates from HP entry automatically detects an internet connection and downloads any available HP updates.

It's technically not required to run at Startup. I'm sure if you uncheck it, you can do the updates manually.
Click Start | Run and type in msconfig
Click the Startup tab and uncheck the HP entries.

Also if you feel they are really infected with viruses instead of trying to run online scanners which will take forever using dial up it might be a good idea to post a HiJackThis Log in the security forum. They may also find other issues with the computer.

Heres the instructions:

Download and install: HiJackThis.

(Always create a Folder for HiJackThis anywhere but your Temp/Temporary Internet Folders or Desktop. A good place to make a folder would be in My Documents, as this is where it will save the backup files needed if there's a problem.)

Then doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Do A System Scan And Save Log". Make sure all Windows and Browsers are closed.
When the scan is finished, best to save your text file in the same folder as where you put HiJackthis.

IMPORTANT!!!
Create a New Topic and include a fresh HJT log in the HiJackThisLog Help Forum and Copy/Paste the info from your saved Hijackthis log file into your new topic.

A Moderator/ Security Team Analyst will give you instructions.

***DO NOT TRY TO FIX ANYTHING, MAJOR DAMAGE CAN BE DONE TO YOUR SYSTEM IF THIS TOOL IS USED INCORRECTLY, PLEASE WAIT FOR AN ANALYST/MODERATOR TO GIVE YOU INSTRUCTIONS***

Always describe your problem and any programs you have used to try to resolve your issue. Your description can go a long way to solving/repairing your particular issue.

·
Oh! What shall I be?
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i need a little time between trying to get to that computer when, that i why i never did a hiJackThis scan yet, i have a usb memory thing so i will put hiJackThis on it from my computer and i can run it off of that. i will go to msconfig n disable all the hp update stuff but i think i remember seeing that in the netword tab of the task manager of that computer there was two network connections. i know one is for the dial up and the other i dont know. i know they never had it set up differently for the internet because there is only one way to set it up and they always had dial up so it is nothing left over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.