Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal. This has been going on now for quite sometime and i'm fed up. It all started when my computer was having boot up problems. So i took it to Gateway and they replaced my harddrive,motherboard, and memory. Ever since then, my computer will freeze up when running videos, playing games, or sometimes in internet explorer. I traded out my Geforce4 ti4600 graphics card for my TNT2 card to see if that was the problem, but it only made it freeze up faster. I took out each stick of Ram(i have two 256mb sticks) and tried each one singluary but still froze up. I have also deactivated my sound card from the device drivers. Nothing seems to work, my computer passes all tests i do on it for harddrive, memory, cpu, video... I know (at least i think i do) that it is a hardware problem because i can't do anything when my computer freezes, my optic mouse goes off, and my speakers sound like a broken record of whatever noise was playing at that instant it froze. The only way to get out of that is to push and hold in the power button till it turns off. I have all uptodate drivers, directX9, patches for winME. Gateway says they can't find anything wrong with their diagnostic systems (if they even bothered to check), they just reformat my harddrive back to factory specs. That was about a week or two ago and it still freezes up so i know a complete OS reload doesn't work. Any Ideas that this is harddrive or maybe motherboard?
I have an AMD athlon 1.1gig 512 SDRam 133, 40 gig harddrive, geforce4 ti4600 and Win/Me which i know sucks but i don't think its the probelm because my computer ran fine before i took it to gateway for my bootup problem and the replaced my hardware.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to Tech Support Forums Dtbone1................:D

Is the heatsink and fan mounted onto the CPU properly?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
The symptoms described appear to be MB/CPU/memory related. Since you have multiple memory modules and have tried them individually, that's probably not the issue. The obvious way to troubleshoot this is parts substitution, but that's probably not practical. Could you perhaps go into the BIOS setup and slow everything down to see if that makes a difference?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok the heatsink and fan is mounted just fine and all my fans run. I went into my BIOS setup, i didn't change anything but i saw in my Event Log this: "Preboot error:CMOS Configuration Error" any ideas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.