Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unknown problem, unusual- CPU USAGE HIGH

Hey guys :wave:

Ok so I just decided to boot up my computer today and it boots up fine, no problems. BUT. After I log in and wait like 30 seconds as usual, just to give it time to start up all of its system processes etc, everything seems to be going slower than usual. I hit ctrl-alt-del to bring up task manager and look at the performance tab. I see that almost all of the time, no amtter what I'm doing *EVEN IF MY COMPUTER IS IDLE AND NOT DOING ANYTHING* my CPU usage is almost always over 50%. Usually when idle it's around 3%.

[EDITED]

please help with this, it's pretty weird and really annoying since I can't really do anything without it being rediculously slow. I ran spybot and ad-aware and combined, they only found 2 things, which I deleted. Norton found nothing in quickscan, but I didn't do a full system scan since it would take hours normally, probably days with my slowdown...

SO PLEASE HELP!!!!11!one!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Press Ctr+alt+del and click Processes tab. Click the word "CPU" to arrange the programs eating up most of the cpu. If you did it correctly System Idle Process should be at the top and if you see stuff under that that is more than what you expect, you will need to diagnose the problem yourself or post the process here. If it is a messenger or browser or something, your first bet can be to reinstall the program.

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
Having something using up CPU time is actually not all that unusual. In fact, what IS unusual is that it's not 100% of the CPU, which is what usually happens.

WDSnav suggestion is right; run Task Manager and use it to ID what process is using all the CPU time. List the processes by clicking the "CPU" colum header and getting them listed in order of CPU usage. Look for what's near the top of the list.

Once you have a tentative ID, click that process and kill it. Then see if CPU usage drops. If it does, you've found your culprit.

Keep in mind this could be legit & necessary XP process, and killing it may cause a freeze. If so, just restart. the next question would then be what is causing this process to run.

It could also be malware, which sometimes will automatically re-launch itself when killed, so be ready for that possiblity. Sometimes malware will have more than one process running at the same time.

Try all of this, and report results back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
well.

First of all, for specs, I got a 2.8 Ghz Dual-Core and 1 gig of ram.

My second problem is now fixed, where I couldn't open my computer of anything, that was a malware infection.

For the CPU usage problem, it has the CPU usage as like 50%, but nothing is taking a rediculous amount of usage up. So I started to experiment, and I closed out explorer. CPU usage: 1%.

lol. found the source.

I restarted explorer by using the start new task thing in the task manager, and I had my desktop back.

CPU usage: 1%.

Apparently, closing and restarting explorer generally fixes the problem. Tips for a fix?

Only thing I haven't done yet is a full system scan for viruses, and viruses only. I'm completely free of ad/spy/malware at the moment.

Oh and @ Kalim, I've got a crapload of processes at startup :sigh:

Not that that's too much of a problem since I'm getting 2 more gigs of RAM soon lol

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Glad you got that one! Do a system scan for a virus.

Here, run this as well, online: BitDefender Online Scan

If that shows right then use Windows System File Checker by Start>Run: type sfc /scannow and hit enter. Have your XP CD handy and when pompted (if it needs to replace corrupted/missing files) insert it into the CD drive.
When it finishes, reboot and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.