Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used Toshiba Portege R600-ST520W running Win7 SP1. I was told it was a "clean install" (32bit) and I believe it since there is near nothing on the computer, or at least there wasn't until I started adding things.

There has been this little icon right next to my clock in the system tray since day 1 and I can't figure it out. It appears to be grayed out and doesn't respond to hovering, right or left clicking.

Anyone have an idea of what it could be? I'll try to attach a pic. Blown up if I can...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take a look at what's running in task manager, what services are started and what programs are loaded at startup. That may help to narrow it down.
With so many things running in services and processes that I have no idea what they are, I am no closer. It is always present.

Is it safe to just go through and stop processes or services? Will they be ok after a reboot if I stop something important?

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Download and run CCleaner and go to the Tools icon and then Startup. Browse the tabs and see what is starting when your computer starts. You can do the same thing with msconfig (search at Start).

Have you just tried right-clicking the little "sheep" icon and seeing what comes up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Best not to do that I reckon. If it still doesn't go after manually deleting it... it will be much harder to remove later.
What if I move the folder to a disc, and if it doesn't remove the icon I can replace the folder and seek another way to remove?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If that program isn't causing any issues, I would recommend leaving it be.

"No sense fixing something that aint broken!" ...just had to say that! :grin:
You speak to one of my greatest weaknesses. It may not be "broken", but if it ain't the way I want it, I just might break it to get it there :dance:

Any more ideas would be welcome!

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
Hi, if you don't want the program have a look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall \ for the program.

In the right payne you will see details about the program , one will be displayIcon another may be uninstallstring, modify displayIcon leave the value box blank OR copy the uninstallstring into a run cmd and press OK should be rid of it.

EDIT:- you should export this key to desktop before doing anything to it (just to be safe)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I got it. Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions. Here's what I ended up doing:

First off, thankfully the Deepfreeze program wasn't active. It was "thawed", or I probably wouldn't be able to have done this.
1. I removed the program folder named "Faronics" from C:program Files>
2. Used Ccleaner to clean the registry (I love Ccleaner! Been using it for years.)
3. Reboot.

It (the little icon) is GONE!

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
Hi, glad you sorted it out, while CCleaner has a good reputation the registry cleaner util is not recommended (it does at least offer a backup).

Sometimes, something you need gets removed, you know nothing about it and 2-3 mths down the track a windows update hoses your system, the backup is useless, too old and you have no idea which one to try and in most cases the user blames MS, when the cleaner removed a needed value.

After 40 + years experience and thousands of instances of this very thing I can only say "please do not use registry cleaners" they are not going to improve performance and the potential for disaster is very real.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just bought a used Toshiba Portege R600-ST520W running Win7 SP1. I was told it was a "clean install" (32bit) and I believe it since there is near nothing on the computer, or at least there wasn't until I started adding things.

There has been this little icon right next to my clock in the system tray since day 1 and I can't figure it out. It appears to be grayed out and doesn't respond to hovering, right or left clicking.

Anyone have an idea of what it could be? I'll try to attach a pic. Blown up if I can...

Place the cursor of the mouse on the icon, shown in the system tray and see if there comes any name in the tool tip. If you are able to see,find that running process in processes tab of task manager; and end that process.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.