Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've seen several posts about this error but none seem to help me so i thought I would try here. I have recently had computer problems and have had to reinstall AV software but until this morning my PC seemed to be running fine. I ran a CHKDSK just to be sure there were no problems there but when it tried to reboot after finding no problems I get the blue screen showing this error and the second line just shows Unknown Hard Error. I've tried rebooting and repairing from the Windows CD but I get nowhere and cannot boot in Safe Mode. I've also used the repair console but as I'm not very familiar with that, I'm not getting anywhere there either. So, if I can't boot normally, or in safe mode, or from the cd, am I just stuck with reinstalling Windows or could there be another option?

Thanks so much!:smile:

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,512 Posts
Download the ISO image for Drive Fitness test in my signature and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD and Run the short and extended tests.

·
Enthusiast
4,527 Posts
Unknown Hard Error c000021a - often caused by installing an application which messes up your Windows system files. Problem is, if Windows will not start in any mode at all, you won't be able to remove the software which is causing it (even assuming you know what it is).

So I think a re-install of Windows may be your only option.

I was going to suggest testing the hard drive for failure too (as previous poster) but in that case I would only recommend you test it with the drive maker's own diagnostic software, not third-party stuff. The links are at top of this page: Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,512 Posts
The Hitatchi Drive Fitness Test, in my signature, test all Hitachi/IBM drives and many other manufacturers (Maxtor, Seagate, WD etc) If the drive tests fine, then first try a Repair Install before resorting to a re-install of Windows.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.