Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Oh! What shall I be?
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a windows 98 (SE i think) there is a folder in my D drive that takes up 555MB that has 20 files in it. I have no idea what it is and want to delete it because it takes up over half my drive. The 20 files are factory(then ".002" through to ".020" and ".pqi"). All of the files except factory.020 are 28.5MB and factory.020 is 11.9MB. All the files say open with and i could not find anything to open it with. The computer says the folder was last modified on 6/1/98 and the files are 9/11/99. I want to know what all these files are, what they do, and if i can delete them.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well, you could try moving them

if you move them to a new location, and wait a few days, you will most likely know if they are important. and if they are, move them back.

i personally dont have anything on my machine that i dont understand. if i suddenly had a handfull of files pop up and take 555 megs, and the create date was 9/11........

i would definately delete them, but i would only do that if i couldn't connect them to an application i had installed.

if you have a proprietary p.o.s. machine, then this could be the restore image on the drive. i know dell and gateway do that on almost all of their machines.

but i myself dont allow any unknown crap to infect my machine.
if it didnt come from something i chose to install, i kill it.

Kill it dead.

~BoB~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.