Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an internal 6-in-1 USB2 card reader (model name IR3-USB2) that also has front USB2 and Firewire ports. After installing it I looked at Windows Explorer and noticed several additional drive letters, about the same number for each of the card slots in the reader and assumed that it installed correctly. I then went on to install an Adaptec DuoConnect 3121 USB2 and Firewire card. Now the card reader drive letters are not showing up in Explorer. Looking at Device manager I see one item "Unknown Device" showing up under USB Controllers. Device Manager tells me that it does not know what this is and no driver has been assigned. According to the owners manual that came with the card reader I shouldn't need a driver if the OS is Windows XP. The DuoConnect is working because I have the front Firewire port on the card reader plugged in the internal Firewire port on the back of the DuoConnect. The card reader itself and the USB2 front port cables from the crad reader are plugged into the two USB2 plugs on my motherboard (Intel D865PERL). Neither are working.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think that it means you don't need a driver from the maker because xp already comes with drivers that supports it. Have you tried reinstalling the driver?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I've tried reinstalling the driver AND uninstalling the device and having XP pick it up again on the next bootup.

Another question. When you are looking at items listed in Device Manager, particularly USB Controllers, how can you tell what each one goes to? I'm not 100% sure the unknown device showing is my card reader. Everything else appears to be working though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.