Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dell Win7 x64 Home Premium disk that I have used several times to reinstall Win7 on different brands of computer (all had legitimate COA). However, I have no such 32 bit disk but I do have a Lenovo 32 bit operating system recovery disk but the one time I tried to use it for a fresh install on another brand it did not work as it said it was not a Lenovo laptop. What I want to do it attempt to make a universal Win7 install disk for both 32 & 64 bit. Does anyone know if I can use this Lenovo disk for this purpose. When I examine the folders on it they are named Boot-Mfg-Preboot-Recovery-SwWork-TvTos and Bootmgr. This is opposed to the folders on the Dell disk which are boot-efi-langpacks-sources-support-upgrade-autorun.inf-bootmgr-bootmgr.efi-setup.exe.
The files inside the folders look nothing like Dell's either. I have called everyone I know who has Win7 to see if I could borrow another but no one uses 32 bit plus as everyone knows computers don't get shipped with installation disks anymore.
I feel sure that all the necessary files are on this disk but have no idea how I would every decipher them. Does anyone have any idea? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
you cannot take a recovery disk and make a universal install disk out of it. It only has drivers for the specific computer it came with.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding. I know that one of the folders does have a lot of drivers in it but I also saw a .wim file. Isn't that the actual operating system file? From reading around on the net I found that people who downloaded their Win7 got it in a .wim format. I've never used WAIK before (from what I read it appeared to be a little over my head) but if I were successful in using WAIK to convert the .wim to .iso do you think that I could then make a universal disk from the results?
One more question. With Win7 can SFC be run from a universal install disk? Also can SFC be run from a customers system image file? (when they have one but they usually don't.) What I have been running into more & more lately is trying to repair corrupted system files in Win7 and I've been spinning my wheels trying to do so. I know as time goes on and more Win7 machines begin to fail I will have to have access to all the Win7 versions to use for repair as well as reinstall. My arsenal of Vista and XP install disks is petty complete but I'm limited in the Win7 media. I'm trying to prepare myself in advance. I'm not an official repair girl, just the resident go-to person for just about everyone I know. I caution everyone to make a system image but no one seems to listen and then they leave it up to me to figure everything out when something fails. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.