Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 harddrives the first is not on linux and the seccond contain one linux partition(or however many it makes) and the other half of the seccond hard drive is non linux. My computer boots from the first hard drive and i know from experience if i just delete the linux partition(s), when i go to start my computer back up grub is totally stuffed.

Is there any way to delete the grub loader that resides in the mbr of my first hd so i can safely delete the partitions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In terms of the Partition i havent decided yet, might just become another spare partition. But in replacing the GRUB loader in the mbr nothing just simple running off the Microsoft Windows XP that was originally on there.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You'd want a MS-DOS start-up disk. (You can make one in XP) When it boots type in something like "fixmbr" I don't know the exact command. Ask a Microsoft junkie.

But that should give XP back control of the master boot record. Why you'd want to do that I'll never know. Gurb should still work fine. Just as long as you don't try to boot to a partition that isn't there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more thing i just realised that i do not own any floppy disks and i was wondering if i could use my xp pro sp2 cd and use the repair function.

Although i'm not sure if i would use the same command fixmbr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.