Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that you can "uninstall" a driver in the "Device Manager". However, I understand that even though when you do that, the driver and any reference to it is not totally removed from your computer. In other words, Windows does not really delete the driver. I seem to recall that there is a way to edit the registry so that all references are gone. My question is "How do I do that"? Here is the problem. I installed what I thought would be an updated driver for a video capture card. It turned out that the driver did not do the job. I can "uninstall" it but when I go to install the proper one, it will install fine but when I go to Windows Movie Maker, the new capture card is not recognized, only the old one. (I hope you understand that!!) Is there a Microsoft note that tells how to edit the registry to get rid of an old driver. Has anyone else on the forum had to do this? I am looking for particulars. What do I have to edit from the registry? From where in the registry do I edit? I am trying to be very cautious because I do not want ot mess the registry up and then have bigger problems!! Just asking!!! Sorry that this post has been so long!! Thanks, Walt <[email protected]>

G

·
did you try clicking the properties tab of your vid card in device manager, click drivers tab, then click update the driver and point to the driver cd...or did you try that. Also in the driver pane click driver details ,at the bottom you should be able to scroll down to see all the drivers that the vid card uses. You could note the location and do not delete, just add like the word " old " ( may have to go into safe mode ) then reboot and install the correct drivers....do not delete the drivers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.