Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi This is my first post. The problem i'm having is with windows updates. The updates download ok (I'm on dial-up by the way). The problem is with them installing. The way I normally install any updates is when I shut down my computer and it takes over. What happened in the past was that they would take all night and well into the next afternoon to install. At the moment I have 2 updates to install but no matter what way I try to do it they will not install although I get a message saying this is what is happening. This takes the same amount of time and the computer switches itself off but nothing has installed or if I use the Express/Custom after the same amount of time nothing is showing on the progress bar. The last update to install was on 13/08/05. I am now changing my settings to Notify in the future but is it possible to get rid of these updates that won't install as I don't even need them anyway. It's for Office 2003 16-64mb. The other one is 400kb Malicious Software Removal Tool but i'm thinking of ditching the Microsoft Spyware Remover . I'm using Windows XP Pro. Thanks.

·
1,438 Posts
Taking all night is not normal.
Have you tried turning off your antivirus prior to running the update installer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Thanks for the advice. I,ll give it a try tommorow. I'm at work at the moment. ..will let you know. malcky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. Tried turning off Norton Anti -Virus but after 5mins nothing was happening so I cancelled the Initializing Installation. After 30mins when I click on the yellow update sheild it is still saying cancelling updates. In fact when I hold the pointer over the update sheild it says Installing updates..... Confusing or what. I know I am .

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts
Just wondering if the downloaded file is incomplete or corrupt. Perhaps try turning off automatic updates and go to the update site and select one update at a time to download and install. You won't need all the updates either - as long as you have the critical ones, they are the ones that are important. Is your firewall configured to allow MS update site access?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Glaswegian. Firewalls OK. Have been trying induvigual updates from the site. When I try to install updates I'm now getting a message; UPDATES WERE UNABLE TO BE SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED. malcky from montrose

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts
Heya malcky - how's the East coast today? :smile:

Are you able to download other files OK? Any other problems when logged on? Are you using IE for the update site?

Just trying to eliminate as much as possible.

And get broadband!!!!! :grin:

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Microsoft does suggest that any security update needs to be installed with no firewall.
I would give it a day and then go back to see if you can get updates from the Windows Update Site.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HI all. Firstly Glaswegian it's grey,windy but warm but not as grey as I feel. I'm using IE no other problems with internet or downloads. Only problem is with the updates.

Hi Geekgirl I've had this problem for a couple of months intermittantly at first. It's a new system Mesh Dual Core Titan 4800x2 with 2048 ram 300HD. After about a month with new comp problems started.

Thanks for your interest all and I'll try to install with firewall off. malcky

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.