Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I uninstalled a SCSI internal Jaz drive a couple of years ago but it still appears in WinXP Pro Windows Explorer as drive G.
How can I remove it...........and free up that drive letter?
Thanks

·
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT
1,238 Posts
When you say uninstalled? I’m assuming you also pulled it out/disconnected it? If you did? see if it's in your device manager under the Hardware tab try to locate it and disable it. Also check in your bios see if it's still there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I physically removed the drive, as well as first uninstalling it from Device Manager and uninstalling the Iomega software.
In Control Panel, it is not visible in Device Manager or Disc Management.
It does not appear in the mainboard BIOS nor in the Adaptec SCSI adapter BIOS nor in any POST messages but there it is in Windows Explorer "Jaz 2GB (G)".
I also did a registry search but found nothing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately it gets involved in a more important problem, USB flash drives are not recognised in Windows Explorer, although they are visible in Device Manager and Disc Management.
I am trying to free up all the drive letters after my hard drive partitions, in the hope that Explorer will eventually recognise the drives and show their content.

·
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT
1,238 Posts
Well ya didn’t say all that....ha-ha time for a reg clean.... within this site you'll find a good registry cleaner to buy, maybe you should think about it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After lots of rummaging around, I found that the Shell Hardware Detection Service was disabled.
When I turned that on and went back to Windows Explorer, my "phantom" Jaz 2GB drive was no longer there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.