Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are several ways to remove MSN from your system. I found one way but *IT ALMOST CRASHED MY SYSTEM*. So why do I tell you? Cause I screwed up and had it open when I did it so proceed at your own caution.

First Open Outlook express and click on Tools>options>other and uncheck "Enable instant messaging in Microsoft Outlook". Click on apply and ok and restart Outlook. It should be much faster.

EDIT: Upon using my system I deam this a crap tweak! Use it if you want but I'm sorry I wasted my time posting this one.

OK, now for the system cracher.
Click on Run and copy or type in
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove. MAKE SURE you have EVERYTHING closed out. This includes the start-up group. I don't want anybody to have to go through what I just did.

By some chance your system goes black after the first XP logo, just boot to safemode and remove the video drive. I found that the AGP440 file flips out and has to be reloaded.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Personally I hate messenger too, and just removing it from start up doesn't work, so I quit the stupid thing, and renamed it with an extra "s" It can't load what it can't find :) That list of smilies really needs a demonic grin.. anyone who's played D&D knows it.... it's the one the DM has when s/he knows something you don't...darn Beholders :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You asked for it

I found a few Big Evil Grins, I zipped them with a list of UR:'s where I got them... legal issues or whatever, it's in the zip file. They are kinda small for text smilies, but I like them :)

S

·
0 Posts
Good Day

Want to get rid of Messenger?

Click Start > Run , and in the Open: box type the following command (press OK when done):

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Or you can just copy/paste the command above in the Open: box from the Run command.

Only do this if you DO NOT want Messenger on your system....

:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Click Start and then click Run.

In the Run dialog box, type msconfig in the Open text box and click OK.

Click the Startup tab in the System Configuration Utility window.

Remove the checkmark from the msmsgs checkbox.

Click Apply and then click OK. :alienmorp

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For you XP home users:

Right click on the Start menu and click Explore.

In the Windows Explorer, go to c:\Program Files\Messenger.

Replace the c: with the drive letter where your main WINDOWS directly is located.

Right click on the Windows Messenger icon in the toolbar and click the Exit command. This stops the Messenger.

In the Windows Explorer, right click on the msmsgs.exe file and click the rename command.

Rename the file to msmsgs1.exe.

Right click on an empty area in the right pane of the Windows Explorer, point to New and click on Text Document.

Rename the New Text Document.txt to msmsgs.exe.

Restart the computer. After you log on, you will not see the Windows Messenger icon in the tray and you will not see any error messages related to the Messenger.

S

·
0 Posts
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove.
Duh I gotta be more careful about what I read I didn't even see this... So Sorry...:eek:

But on the other side of the coin I did run this without shutting down the startup group and it worked slicker than snort, No more messenger...:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bracius said:
Hence my smilie :D. But I am glad that it worked for you. I have installed so much betatest crap on my box that I am suprised that my palm pilot hasn't crashed yet. But good fortune is on the horizon: I am almost done buidling my GHz box. Got one last part left............ The CPU :rolleyes: Then it format/Reinstall time for me baby! YEAH!

S

·
0 Posts
Yup to much crap is definitley no good..:D

It just keeps piling up and then ya gotta get rid of it somehow:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.