Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi . I have a problem , I installed the latest driver for my GeForce 4 MX 420 64 MB PCI and found out my video card works a lot better on the older drivers and I can tell.... my game Morrowind dosn't play right and I can't even get into display properties . The problem is when I uninstall the video card in the device maniger I go threw the steps and it just reinstalls the same driver anew . I also tried to just install the old one and that dosn't work .....well that is the dait of the driver changes but the folder it uses dosn't and the driver ID is still 41.09 instead of 24.28 . 41.09 is the newest driver but I bet its for AGP and I have PCI 420 . It is complicated because it looks like the driver is in the windows folder when I look in driver details . If you could help me I would appreciat it oh and the driver I want to install I have on CD Thanks . I will donate $40.00 if this works out ( to Tech Support ) otherwise I cant afford it . Thank's .

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I think people would be a lot more likely to help if you didn't post this in a dozen places! :upset:

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,697 Posts
Yes... I have delete your other repeat posts. Please only post once in the most relevant heading. Otherwise people will become confused and upset. This is the only remaining thread on this topic.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
It's not, but you posted the same request in a bunch of places.

On to the problem. :) There are a couple of ways to get rid of the driver, one way I've used is to temporarily install an older video board to throw Windows "off the scent", and try to kill off the old driver. You might also have to find references to the driver files in the registry and nuke them also. Finally, I'd contact tech support for the card in question, they may have a complete driver uninstall, I know that Matrox has one for their cards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank's . Im going to try to get ahold of the company first to see if they have an uninstall . Ive had experiance in regedit to take off the regestry of a game because I uninstalled it with Add\Remove but now I can play it . So is it you can find all the files to the driver in regedit ? I tryed to just move two folders that appeare in driver detailes and install the old driver , the driver folders and version changed but I still couldn't get into display properties and it didn't give me a choice in display properties in the system tray so I changed it back . And sorrie about the different posts I posted in it wont happen again .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi it's me again . I uninstalled and took out the new video card and my onboard video card has been in operation for 2 weaks or so . I have a problem though , I don't know how to go about finding all the files and folders for the driver I want to remove . And I did install that driver one time to "C:\Windows\System" instead of just "C:\Windows" and I was wondering if I would have a problem removing that one ? Thank's

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Unless you're sure of what you're doing, I'd just leave those files alone, disk storage is cheap, and a few megs of drivers won't hurt anything. :) You'd be positively amazed at what is stashed around on your HD not being used! :D:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I did it . All I did was install the driver into its own speacial folder so I could see all the files it had for refference to delete them in windows and windows\system witch I should have just accepted the driver wasn't working and not installed them in Windows\System . But im happy it works better and I can get into disply properties now thanks for your help .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.