Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get windows media player 10 to work at all. Everytime I try to open it, it gives me an internal application error. I've tried to reinstall the program, but it tells me it can't install. I've tried rolling it back to the previous version, but it just tells me that the rollback failed.

What do I do? Am I just SOL?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Try this trick to see if you can completely uninstall Windows Media Player.

Uninstall unwanted components Thanx to: Microsoft Expert Zone - Michel Bordeleau It seems that some components in Windows XP can't be uninstalled. Well... they can. Use this trick to uninstall MSN Messenger, Media Player, MSN Explorer and Microsoft Games. First, make a copy of sysoc.inf (found on the hard disk at \Windows\inf\sysoc.inf) before proceeding so that you can restore the initial configuration if necessary. Give the copy a different name, such as sysoc2.inf. Open the Sysoc.inf file. Each line of text in the file represents a component that can be displayed in the Add/Remove Windows Components dialog. Delete the word HIDE for any component that you want to see in the dialog (do not erase the commas). Save the Sysoc.inf file, then close it, and reboot your computer. The Add/Remove Windows Components dialog will now display the items you want.
You may need to enable hidden and system files and folders to view these files. Go to Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab and make sure show hidden files and folders is checked and hide protected operating system files is unchecked.

In the file you may want to look for the line:

MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,HIDE,7
I think that is Windows Media Player. You'll know if it's right if WMP shows up in add/remove programs. Make a backup of the file before editing it.

Let me know how it goes.
BMR777

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried it. Doesn't work. Now I can't get Add/Remove programs to show ANYTHING. I'm doing a repair install of windows to see if that helps.

If it helps any here's what I've done so far.

1. Try to rollback to WMP 9: Rollback failed
2. Try to install WMP 10 and then do the rollback: rollback still fails.
3. Try a system restore: My restore points don't go back far enough.

Up to that point WMP 10 still worked most of the time. It occasionally caused a blue screen of death, which is why I tried to uninstall it.

4. Someone on the net said that you could uninstall it with "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\windows\inf\wmp.inf,Uninstall"

It did something. I'm not sure what. WMP started giving the "Internal Application Error" after this.

5. Rebooted. Tried to install WMP 9: Said it detected a newer version and wouldn't install.

6. Tried to open an avi. WMP asked if I wanted to install WMP 10. I said yes. "Internal Application Error"

7. Tried to install WMP 10 from a downloaded install file. "Internal Application Error"

8. Tried to run system restore. Restore failed. Now I'm stuck with a broken program.

9. Ran a repair installation of Windows.

10. "Internal Application Error"

11. Tried installing and rollingback. Still fail. Now the only restore points I have are from after the repair install.

12. Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection uninstall 132 C:\windows\inf\wmp.inf

13. Tried to delete all files containing "wmp". Delete fails.

14. System restore to just after the repair install. Ran a second repair install.

15. Tried your suggestion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
you did make a backup, right
No I didn't. I thought I did, but it's not there.

tosh9i, I can't upgrade to WMP 11 because I don't have service pack 2 and I don't want WMP 11 anyway. I don't want another player either. I want WMP 9 or 10. If I upgrade to WMP 11, and try to roll it back, would it rollback to a working version or the nonworking WMP 10?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah hah! As a last chance before I tried reformatting the hard drive, I tried a tried another repair install. Only this time I used the disc that came with my laptop and success! It fixed Add/Remove Programs and now I have SP2. It also fixed WMP10-which is wierd since the disc comes with WMP9.

Whoot! I still can't rollback to 9, but at least I have a player.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.