Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have had some major driver issues and it looked like I needed to reinstall Nforce to my Mb. So, i went to Nvidia and downloaded nforce. During the DL, something happend (i was not at my machine when this happend) and when i came back, the unfinished DL was on my desktop. So, I tried to delete it and I got....

"Cannot delete (nforce file name): It is being used by another person or program".
Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

Ok, no big deal so i shut down a couple programs and it did not work. I traced the path to find out what was running that was not allowing me to delete this file. I found the path and it is explorer.exe.

I booted up in Safe mode and tried to delete it and was not able too.

So, my question is... How do I get this unfinished DL off of my desktop, if shutting down explorer.exe takes me off my desktop? Simply put, how do i get this unfinished DL off of my desktop?

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
Download the Pocket Killbox and run it. Select the file you want to delete, and make sure "End Explorer Shell While Killing File" is ticked and click the delete button. If this doesn't work, try the delete on reboot option, same process, and restart the computer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortuantely this did not work. I was downloading another download and it was finished according to my firefox download manager, but it would not complete (same thing i think happend above). Now i have two items on my desktop that are "connected" to Explorer.exe that cannot be deleted. I did do the steps you told me above, though unfortunately it did not work.

Ive tried to do system restore and unfortunately the nearly 10 restores i did, not one of them made any changes and i am told to pick another restore date. im coming to the end of my patience.... as this is only one problem that i have had happen to my perfectly running machine... since i installed the BF2 demo.

·
Henry
3,490 Posts
Try [email protected]. Right click on the file to delete it, and reboot. It should be gone.

EDIT: Under File Utilities

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so i installed the freeware version. When i try to delete it... it gives me the normal "is being used by another person or program". Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

·
Henry
3,490 Posts
Maybe because you d/lled it in Firefox... *I'm goin out on a limb here but* try it in IE to see if that helps

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My apologies.. i dl the test.. instead of movebot. It worked and you are a genious. Thanks for your help.

Issue is resolved. Nice tool.. i will keep it on my pc incase. also... i think your right about firefox. It's happend both times... with FF.

·
Henry
3,490 Posts
Your welcome, and I'm not a genius, I have had problems like that before which that program has solved.

Glad I could help :smile:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
now if you could... let me know what set of drivers is best for my vid card... you would be a genius. lol... God knows that the newest updated vid drivers from nvidia are not always the the best for your vid card.. especially if it's 2 years old. Ive had driver issues ever since i installed the BF2 demo. Had a perfectly running machine of 2 years without a single error message... or problem, freeze up on me in game when i downloaded and install the 77.72 drivers from Nvidia.

Card: Gforce FX 5900 Ultra.

·
Registered
185 Posts
In the future if you need to delete something just do:

start - run - cmd

cd to the directory its in then:

del -y <file>

and with the y switch it will delete it whether its in use or not. I have used this alot of times on xp and it always works.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.