Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently my Dell Dimension 4600 began unexpectedly switching to standby mode. Nothing consistent in the time or the circumstances. Last night I was checking email while burning a CD and it happened again, for the 4th time in just over a week.

Dell tech support had me change the power options for standby to "never", and when I powered down that day the standby button was grayed out.

The next time I booted up, standby was no longer grayed out, although the power option choices had not changed. It was still possible to go into standby from the Start button, which I'd think would not be doable anymore.

Now Dell tech support says that it may be necessary to wipe the HD and reinstall Windows. I'd kind of like to avoid that.

Any ideas why it's unexpectedly switching to Standby?
Any ideas why Standby hasn't been made unavailable?

TIA
Hank

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

After more unexpected standbys and more research into the possible causes, I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the CoolMax power supply.

When I bought it from NewEgg about this time last year, it was receiving 5-star ratings from everyone.

Now, there are 1-star ratings from people who said it worked great for 8 months, 9 months, 11 months and 3 weeks, and then it started acting up and had to be replaced. (Maybe I shouldn't be too surprised -- even though it claims a 5-digit MTBF, it also has only a 1-year warranty.)

I just bought a PSU specifically built for my Dell from PC Power & Cooling. Hopefully that'll solve the problem for several years.

Again, thanks for your input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.