Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I built my own computer about a year ago and it was running perfectly well until recently when it has got into a habit of shutting down without any warning or letting me know why a couple of minutes after startup with no way to pick up from where I left off. It just shuts down and emits a two tone alarm, and the documentation I've got from ABIT doesn't help at all. It shouldn't be a CPU temp problem because I've disabled that function in the setup and sometimes it turns off when ABIT EQ tells me that it's not even 60 degrees C.
I've got no idea what is causing the issue and so don't know where to start to try and fix it and it's really annoying because it is rendering my computer useless... If anybody could give me any help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

although I dont have alot of info to go on / I am very confident you need a new PSU / the psu is one of the few vital components that can cause a complete shutdown / as soon as the cpu is subjected to erractic voltage it will do an auto shutdown to save it's self.

another clue / the year old system part / thats the max youre going to get out of a generic low quality PSU.

buy an enermax or antec tru power psu 550 watts / they cost about $100.00 dont get sucked in by the cheapy generics / the psu is every bit as critical to buy quality as is the motherboard and CPU !!!

let us know how you progress / check ebay and newegg.com for prices

PS disabling warning features is a REALLY bad idea / the equilivant of disabling smoke detectors in the house !!

regards

joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The psu that I'm running with at the moment is an antec 350 watt smart power one.
I've also got 2 DVD drives, 2 hard drives, floppy, an Audigy 2 platinum pro, a radeon 9600XT a fair few USB ports and 4 case fans that I'm running off that...
I might have a go with that, the power supply I have now is also really noisy so I've been wanting to get rid of it. I won't hurt the system at all will I.

Thanks very much
ragaining hope

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hope:

I would not try the system any more than absolutely necessary / when PSU's deleiver erratic power CPU's overheat, fry video cards, burn up hard drives etc / all those sensitive components dont like being subjected to poor quality power.

The quality of the PSU required by a P4 or recent AMD system is as important as the evaluation of the CPU, mobo, and video card

I strongly reccomend you buy an Enermax or Antec Tru-Power 550 watt for your load (check ebay about $100.00 or newegg.com). There are tons of PSU's available the vast majority are generic cheap junk that arent worth the box they come in. If you find yourself tight on funds I would opt to buy a used eneramx or antec tru power of at least 480 watts minimum on ebay / the trick to ebay is buying from a seller with at least 300-500 sales and 98.5% rating or better.

dotn hesitate to ask more questions.

regards

joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went out yesterday and bought an Antec 480 watt tru power and put it in, it was working fine for a little bit longer, but same thing ended up happening again, complete shutdown and a two tone siren. It did work fine with a 350 watt smart power for about a year, so I don't think it's a lack of power issue.
I'm sorry about all this. Is there any other information I could give you that could help you?
Thanks very much for your efforts
wavering hope

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It turns out that when I take one of my memory sticks out, it lasts much longer before it shuts down and gives an alarm...

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello:

Well now you got the power supply providing the power you really need / we can move on to heat. download this diangostic utility and post your system temps and cpu temps / i would boot the computer then run defrag and anti-virus scanner both at the same time / after it has beeing multi taking for about 10 or 15 minutes record the temps and then post them for us.

http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

also post your complete system build specs

also run memtest for a memory checker (memtest86.com)

describe the thermal grease and how you installed it ????? @ the cpu / youre cpu is overheating / open your computer case and leave the side cover off / check to be sure the cpu fan is spinning and free of dust !! if its spinning at the proper high rate of rotation (sandra lite will tell that too) then put a house fan blowing into puter / see how long it runs then ??????

regards

joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, normally I am not able to leave to computer on for 10 or 15 minutes before it turns itself off, but I turned it on a few times and ABIT EQ said that system temps were somewhere around 35+-2 degrees C (I live in Australia) and the CPU temp was somewhere around 60 +- 2 degrees C when it actually did turn off.
When you say complete system specs, what do you want to know?
how does memtest work? will SiSandra benchmarks or prime95 do the job?
I didn't install the cpu, the shop I bought it from did that for me, I installed everything else though. The cpu heatsink though is just the factory one though so I don't think there'll be any grease, just the thermal pad. It seemed to work fine last summer though.
All the fans are spinning fine.
I'm currently using a pedastal fan to blow into the computer and it seems to be having some effect of making it last longer before shutting down. It's been able to keep the system temp below about 27C and the CPU temp around 55C while I'm doing a virus scan with Norton antivirus and defragmenting. and it's been running for over 40 minutes now which it hasn't done for a long time.
Maybe heat could be an issue

Thanks for your continued support

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It still shut down after nearly an hour though, even with a fan blowing into the case. Not too sure what the temps were when it did that thoughit was working it's way up though.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
OK:

caught the suspect at last !!!!!! HEAT

your CPU is over heating / temps of 60 degrees when just starting up are WAY too high they will auto shutdown around 70-75 degres C depending on your cpu model /

you will need to remove the thermal pad and get some good quality thermal grease (artic silver 5 is the BEST) and then re-install your heat sink and fan

your system should be around 30 degrees C when starting

if you are able I would strongly advise grabbing a Zalman 7000 sereis heat sink and fan they are outstanding /
http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=92&page=1

get her cooled down to the correct operating parameters and your system will be fine / there is an excellent movie clip on the zalman website to install the 7000 as well as a mobo compatability selector

and jusssst maybeee we will see that user name modified to / FULL of Hope LOL
regards

joe

·
Registered
906 Posts
I agree with Linderman, the fact that the machine ran longer with a fan blowing into it indicates a cooling issue.

I do not know what kind of heatsink and fan you have on there now but for some reason the cooling system is no longer doing it's job. I would inspect it for proper installation or damage. It must sit firmly on top of the CPU and you must have a good quality thermal paste between the heatsink and CPU.

Whatever heatsink and fan combo you decide to use I would advise that you get a tube of Arctic Silver 5 and apply it according to the tutorial on the manufacturers website.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to see if I can get AMD to have a look at it, because it is still under warranty. Since it's a socket A processor I'm a bit worried about doing it myself.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hope:

AMD isnt going to do anything for you except test the cpu and tell you its fine / but that will take any where from 2 to 3 weeks. I would suggest you research alittle info on the zalman website and the artic silver 5 website / there you will learn the correct way to apply thermal grease and install a new after market high grade cpu cooler. Its a very easy process once you have done a little info digging / I guarantee you can properly do the job if you have any mechanical apittiude whatsoever / if you can change a door knob you can install a cpu heatsink and fan !!!!!!

http://www.zalmanusa.com/ >>>>> watch installation movie (do you have popcorn ????? LOL)

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_small.htm

regards

joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I booked my computer into a computer shop and they had a look at it for me. Turns out when the shop put the CPU and heatsink on for me they out thermal grease on the thermal pad. It worked ok for a while but then lost it. So they took all the thermal stuff off and put on some new grease and now it works fine again!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.