Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XMMS cant seem to find my mp3's. When i try to Play File, it sees /mnt/hda7 but there's nothing in it. It looks like a clean directory when, in fact, it has my files..am I missing something..? o_O (Yes, I am a Linux newbie >:) ) btw, Im using Feather 7.5 and hda7 is an NTFS partition.

Thanks! =)

·
Registered
590 Posts
question 1. did you actually mount the drive [mount -t /mnt/hda7]
question 2. Are they actually mp3 (just asking maybe they are .wma)
question 3. what filesystem is the drive

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. yup =) but just to make sure, i typed that command again in a console box
2. *boot back to WinXP* right-click > Properties : mp3
3. hda7 is on NTFS

here are other things i tried: (just now XD )
a. go to /mnt/hda7 > ls / dir command > nothing
b. open /mnt/hda7 through XMMS > tried to create a test folder > said "Error creating directory. Permission denied" > opened console again - chmod 777 /mnt/hda7 > was finally able to create test folder

-- here's the funny thing 'though..i booted back into Windows and checked Drive G: ( which is = /mnt/hda7 ), the test folder isnt showing there. i know im doing something wrong or missing a trivial piece...Argh! T_T

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried playing with it again. :D now it's saying /mnt/hda7 is not a block device; tried googling for the error message and most of what i got are references pointing to header files >_<

here's my command, btw :
mount -t ntfs /mnt/hda7 /mnt/test

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL got it! :XD i got the syntax all wrong..st00pid me ROFLMAO i should've used

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda7 /mnt/test instead...sorry if my post wasnt clear enough >_< Thanks a bunch! :)

·
TSF Team Emeritus
837 Posts
also, if you mount it as root and you GNOME or Xserver has booted in another user's name, then you cannot write to it in GNOME.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
LoneWolf071 said:
also, if you mount it as root and you GNOME or Xserver has booted in another user's name, then you cannot write to it in GNOME.
Do you really want to trust writing to an NTFS file system from Linux.

·
Registered
370 Posts
No, with the software as it is today you should never write to NTFS from inside linux. It can and probally will screw up the entire partition. Reading it however is perfectly fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.