Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to rename a user profile under C:\Users (I am logged into the Administrator profile on my computer), and am getting an error that the folder or file is in use, so I cannot rename it.

I have tried multiple options to fix it after researching online:

• I tried ending the "explorer.exe" process, and then restarting it via "new task" in task manager. It was suggested that this would "unlock" the file or folder for a short period of time. It did not work for me.
  • I tried clearing both my recycle bin and my "Thumbnails" folders from Disk Cleanup. That also did not work for me.
  • I was going to try to disable thumbnail caching temporarily by following instructions online, but the computer was unable to locate "gpedit.msc".
Could anyone advise? This is a very important step of a process I'm being worked with on in a separate thread and I cannot proceed until I have renamed this file, and am afraid to restart the computer since I've just done a "takeown" command on this Administrator profile.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I said, I'm afraid to reboot the computer because I've just performed a takeown command on this Administrator profile - would restarting the computer have any effect on that?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it! I downloaded a recommended software that shows you which processes are locking up a folder. It turns out it was Windows Media Player (wmpnetwk.exe). Why that would be the culprit I have no idea, but I opened Task Manager and ended that process, and renamed the folder just fine. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good work, i've seen the Recycle Bin lock profile folders but never WMP.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,619 Posts
I wouldn't attempt to rename a user profile folder. The problem is that the registry or configuration files will have references to the existing folder. Finding and updating all of these references is a far from trivial task. This is why the folder is not renamed when a login name is renamed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't attempt to rename a user profile folder. The problem is that the registry or configuration files will have references to the existing folder. Finding and updating all of these references is a far from trivial task. This is why the folder is not renamed when a login name is renamed.
I was following the direction of jenae, in a separate thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.