Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to reload Windows XP on a Dell from the System Restore CD's and the PC is locking up at various times - on the format or if I get past that on the copy files or once it loaded everything then rebooted and locked up shortly thereafter.

I've tried different Installation CD's, CD-ROM, Hard Drive, RAM & RAM slot.
The hard drive has been formatted on another machine and put back onto it's original computer. I've removed all cards, unplugged the front USB & Firewire, and reset the BIOS... the darn thing still locks up.

I've connected a floppy drive to it and ran a Troubleshooter program on it, the motherboard and chip don't seem to be causing any errors but that's really all that is left - aside from the power supply, which I am replacing next.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Scott

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Format the drive using kill disk. Do a search for it, its free. Make sure that
all connections are good. Sometimes in haste we/I tend to overlook the
simple stuff. If it is a western digital hdd, download one of there hdd test
tools, maxtor will have a similar tool. The tool will have to be a floppy so
you will have to set cmos to boot to a:. Give that a try and post back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the cables - just to make sure and wiped it with KillDisk. Ran 3 swipes with the top DoD option. Once that completed, I rebooted and ran the setup again. I'm stuck at 14% on the copy files. The HD is a WD, I've got their tools on a floppy and can try that as well.

As noted in my original post, I was about to replace the power supply for grins, it didn't seem to make much of a difference with a different one installed.

All that really remains is the Chip or Motherboard. I may have a replacement board in the cabinet to try next.

Scott

·
Registered
30 Posts
run the WD tool to checkj the drive else run FDISK from a 98 boot disk because it would seem to me like either the install medium is scratched or damaged in some way else it is the HDD at faul very rare that anything else causes this.

Always run recovery of PC with minimal periferals especialy NO USB devices connected except mouse and KB

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Also it's possible that you just plain have a bad Dell Restore CD. Those CDs are usually nothing more than a Ghost image and those can sometimes cause problems. Maybe contact Dell? They probably won't be much help tho.

BMR777

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shocker-z - I will use the WD tools tonight to test the HD and post a reply.

whosdat - Yes, it's got a single 256MB stick of RAM installed. I have replaced the RAM on a previous test but the system still locked.

BMR777 - It is possible that the media is bad but I have used other CD's and get the same results. I also used the original CD's that came in with this system to reload another Dell of the same model and it worked just fine.

·
Registered
682 Posts
hello Scottc,

dell computers have a built-in hd test utility that you could try also. Just hit "ctrl+alt+D" at the dell logo screen (I usually hit it continually) and if that doesn't work hit the F12 button at the dell logo screen then choose hard drive diagnostic utility (something like that)

good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Results from the Dell IDE Drive Diagnostics indicate PASS on Primary Drive 0: WDC WD400BB-75FJA1.

Could it possibly be the Motherboard? Aside from the Chip and Motherboard, everything else has been replaced during troubelshooting the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.