Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dell Dimension 4700 that I'm trying to upgrade memory from 256mb to 512mb. After installing the memory, the system boots without error, but I'm able to Logon.

I try to logon as local Administrator and sometimes it just hangs or I get an error about a local profile. Funny thing is that if I start XP in Safe Mode, I can logon. So I know the memory chip is not the problem.

OS Environment: Windows XP Professional
Updates: All Windows XP updates have been done.
Service Pack: Service Pack 2

Has anyone seen this behavior before? How do I work around this?

I'd like to avoid reinstalling XP and I'm asking for help here first.

simonz

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Instead of reinstalling, logon in Safe Mode as Administrator, and do a system restore. Restore from the nearest restore point. You can always undo the changes later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still unable to logon

I tried the suggested workaround by doing Restore in Safe Mode.

Same results. Still unable to logon. If I remove new memory and revert to old 256mb, then all is okay.

Any other ideas?

simonz

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings
the ram might not be compatible with your motherboard. make sure it is listed on the qualified vendor list for your system. you might try a cmos clear first:

CLEAR CMOS DATA

Switch off the power supply unit or pull off the power cord. There is a CMOS jumper near the battery. Change the jumper position from default 1-2 to 2-3 for one minute to discharge the CMOS data, and then put it back to default 1-2. [ check motherboard book for jumper location ] Switch on the power supply unit or put in the power cord. Press the power-on button to boot up system. If it works, hit "Del" key to enter the BIOS setup page to do correct settings.

otherwise take out the button battery for 20 minutes after its unplugged

good luck and post back

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The memory was ordered from Dell and it is a Dell computer.

Wouldn't the fact that I can run in Safe Mode indicate that the memory chip is not the problem?

Puzzled,
simonz

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
Download MemTest86 and give it a good few runs through with both memory sticks in. See if you get any errors.

If you do, run it individually with each memory stick, in each slot. See if you can work out whether you have a dodgy memory stick or slot.

Also, give the slot a good blow with compressed air and make sure there's no dust sitting in there.

Let us know how you get on.

-Edit

Running in safe mode may allow you to run even though the memory is bad, as safe mode runs with minimal requirements. You may not be loading anything to the bad area of memory in safe mode, but in regular mode it's hitting the bad section.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Memtest passed with both old and new memory

I ran Memtest 6.2 from the bootable CD. I ran 2 passes with both the old and new memory. It passed all tests with both memories.

I have a gut feeling that the problem is an XP related thing with security rights.

I'm going to install XP Professional in a separate folder to see if that works.

simonz

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
simon
I ran Memtest 6.2 from the bootable CD. I ran 2 passes with both the old and new memory. It passed all tests with both memories.
i am pretty sure you did, but i must ask, you ran the test 1 chip at a time?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.