Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently purchased a new computing system and I am unable to install Xp home edition. I have searched other places on the net but was unable to find an answer.
This is the new parts:
Asus P5GD1 Motherboard
Pentium 4 2.66
Maxtor 80 gig (master)
Kinsgton 512 X2

old Parts
Western digital 160 gig
benq DVD+-

I set the boot order to the benq reader, Insert the windows setup disc and it goes through the procedure up loading all the files, then enters the stop error screen where it displays error 0000007b, Describing such things as check for viruses (I am using brand new master Hard drive), check configuration, remove and new controllers etc.

I tried removing the old 160 gig thinking that it has a chance of a virus, and checked connections on the mother board and elsewhere. Anybody have any tips for completing this installation? This is getting to be very annoying.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Might look a couple of places to start:

First of all, I would download the maxtor utility from their website and prepare your disk from this utility previous to setting up the OS. This utility is free (or if a retail version, came with your new drive) and can partition and format your drive and have it ready to go.

Second, your boot order needs to be:

CD/Dvd - 1st
floppy - 2nd
Maxtor Hard Drive

Don't forget to save before you exit.

Third, make sure you have turned off the raid feature in the BIOS setup menu for your IDE drives to keep it from searching for a raid drive. Don't forget to save before you exit if you change the BIOS setup menu.

Put the Maxtor drive on IDE #1 on the end of the ribbon cable with the jumpers set to master, the CD/DVD in the middle of the ribbon cable with jumpers set to slave.

If everything else is set correctly, you should be able to put the OS disk in the drive, boot up and let it load the OS.

Let us know where you are on this process.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.