1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am experiencing the problem described in:
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;306983

When I try to install my PCMCIA ethernet NIC or my Dell TrueMobile wireless mini-PCI card I get the following error:

"An error occurred during the installation of the device. The INF or the device information set or element does not match the specified install class"

I have tried unsuccessfully the solution explained in Microsoft Help & Support (above).

Searching the web I have found a couple of threads dealing with this problem. However, they finally end up reinstalling Windows from scratch or upgrading to XP. Frustrating.

Does anybody know if there is a solution to this (apparently) very difficult problem?

Thanks in advance.
Esquier

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF

The solution seems to be found here
http://crystaltips.typepad.com/wonderland/2003/10/windoze.html

The user had to delete the registry keys for the PC Card slot drivers at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSetxxx\PCI\ as well as the drivers for the PC Card itself at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSetxxx\PCMCIA

It is best to use regedt32 to do this as you can set the security settings for each key if it cannot otherwise be deleted.

Please back up your Registry before editing :sayyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Geekgirl,

Thanks for your help.

I have also found the instructions you posted, and followed the instructions. However, I am still unsuccessful. Do you think it would help to trace all reference to the network adapters in the registry and delete them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Geekgirl,

Unfortunately I am still unsuccessful. I deleted all traces of both network adapters from the registry as indicated by Microsoft. I tried to install the drivers from the original CD that came with the laptop (it was still in its sealed envelope). I kept getting the same error message for both devices.

Is there any other lead you might suggest?

Should I go ahead and re-install the OS? I consider this a last resort procedure, specially when the rest of the system is working fine. I also resist it because I have many programs installed and a great deal of customization applied. Is there a less invasive "repair" function in Win 2000 pro?

Anyway, I am just needing the best advice.

Thanks,
E.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
If you do get it working you'd better hope you're sitting right next to your WAP. I had one of those things and it worked TERRIBLY.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.