Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced this yet? I have tried at least 20 times to install Service Pack 2, 3, and 4 and they ALL terminate with a message that says that "winlogon.exe has generated errors and will shut down" etc etc. Then my computer 3 seconds later reboots by itself. I have tried loading the service packs when I know there is no worm present, as well as trying to install the service packs WITh archive on and Do not archive on. I even got the cd for Service pack 4,( versus downloading it from the net), and I always get the same result. Does anyone know how to deal with this? I even called the Microsoft number they set up for the worm virus, and both the tech I talked to and his supervisor said they have never heard of this one before. Any help would be appreciated, and if you live close by, I owe you a huge beverage of your choice. Thanks..............

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I have not had this problem myself but I do have a few ideas you can try.

1. Do you have adequate disk space available for the sp install?

2. Try turning off any un-needed services before applying the sp.

3. Check the hard drive for errors, type "chkdsk c: /f" at a command prompt.

4. Are you running a ATA 66 or 100 hard drive and controller but using an ATA 33 cable? (sounds strange but I have seen weird NT and 2000 problems because of this)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The chkdsk I have not tried

Thanks for the reply. I do have enough space and no, I am not running that weird cable configuration. Each service pack terminates with the winlogon.exe error. I suspect it is a software issue, but i will try the chkdsk when i restart my machine again. Thanks again for your 2 cents. Like you said, you never know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Try removing all cards except your video card, and disabling any "on motherboard" devices, like usb and such. Could be a hardware incompatibility issue with the service packs. I've had a similar problem with a firewire card. Moving the card to another slot cured my problem, but anyway, don't cost anything to try my suggestion.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Agreed, almost. Sounds like the OS has somehow been corrupted. You could try the repair option and see if that helps, but you are probably going to wind up with a reinstall.

Where I differ is on the Service Packs; SP3 was a great deal of trouble for me, and now that I have installed SP 4, this is as good as it has ever been.

This could go all the way to backing up everything you can, reformating and reinstalling. After the problems that I had installing SP3, this is exactly how I put SP4 on without problems; reformatted, loaded W2K onto an empty HD, followed with SP4, then added everything else in on top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.